Tuesday, November 4, 2008

447 3/17/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, March 17, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

Tuesday mid-night
My dear Helen,
Just finished a letter to Gladys. The first one I have written to her in six days. I find I am out of paper so am having to write to you both on scraps I found in a drawer. Something Jim has had some time.
A nice letter came from you today. One on Monday too. When I get two letters at a time it is usually on a Monday. That way it does not mean any delay in the later letters.
Stella wanted me to be sure to tell you about Ora Dell Allen. She said she had written to you but has never had an answer. Wonders now if you had received her letter. She plans to send you something for the baby too.
I am so glad you were able to use the typewriter ribbon for it was doing no one any good here. Guess I had better not try to write on both sides of this paper.
Yes, I made the new kimono. That is the one I told you I was making from pieces left from Ruthie’s. I had to make a seam down the back, but by stitching it flat it does not matter. If I had more time I could make so many more things, but when I am through reading you still will enjoy getting things I make for you or the baby.
Mrs. Jacobs had a good three-quarter width bed she let the kids have for Bernice’s room. Bernice willingly sleeps in there now and likes it.
Stella says lots of the girls do not line their baby baskets. They get the ribbon to draw through, then have a nice big bow. She lined hers because Sandra was a Fall baby and she thought it would be so much warmer for her.
I am glad to hear you had such a nice evening at Mr. Blakey’s friend’s house. Now that you know more about them it makes you feel kinder toward this Esther.
I think that woman with her cats is terrible. Too bad someone can’t report her and get some action against her. If she really loves cats she would not have such a condition exist among them.
It is nice they will teach you how to care for the baby before leaving the hospital. I think you can manage nicely after getting home if you have the washing done out for a while. It is just at first it all seems so much. Elmer will help you too, I know.
Thanks for the pictures. The water looks lovely. Who does the dog in the picture belong to?
Will write more tomorrow when I get some paper. Love to you both.
Do you hear from Bob?
Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading