Tuesday, November 25, 2008

20 7/17/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Monday, July 17, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Everyone is in bed but I want to write to you before I go. Saturday the little booklet for Jimmie came and I think the little stories in it are darling. Jimmie likes me to read them to him and I got some good ideas from them too. Today the package came and all those spoons are wonderful. They look as good as new and I'm afraid you parted with ones right from your silverware drawer. I am so awfully glad to have them and will take very good care of them and someday when I buy my silver I'll return them to you. The only trouble is now I'll feel like I won't need a set of silverware. I'm awfully glad to have the baby dresses and where did you find the brown shoe laces? Elmer and I both have needed new ones for ages and I haven't been able to buy them.
I have been meeting lots of Kellex people and they are a swell bunch. Entirely different from the Lake Charles people. Everyone here plays bridge so Friday afternoon I'm having two tables. Saturday night we went to a party and Sunday the Deans came over. Neither of us had much of anything to eat so we put our food together and went over to Deans to eat. Mary wasn't very happy though so we had to come home soon after eating.
There is a wonderful grocery store nearer than way downtown. I just found out about it so went there today. It is so neat and clean and the baskets push easily and it isn't nearly as crowded. There was a good supply of vegetables and the meat looks much, much better. A Mr. Turner, Elmer worked with in Lake Charles is up here working, so I'm having him over for dinner Thursday night as I was able to get a nice veal roast today. I know my next door neighbor now and she is very nice. Her name is Mrs. Smyth. Pronounced Sm[sketch of an eye]th. The S is hard. Today in the dime store I bought 6 glasses and a couple of bowls. Our side of town is being built up as the main center. Just beyond Deans, there is a swimming pool and theatre going up. Just down a few houses from us a big Community Hall is going up. Remember where the cafeteria is. They are building a big bus terminal across the street from it and some tennis courts. They have started coming around to every house with clothes poles now. They put them in and also put in the wire line. They haven't gotten to me yet though. I told you how two men came to the office after Mr. McKim, well he hasn't been back to work since so Elmer doesn't know what happened.
I had a good time at the bridge party last week, although the afternoon was terribly hot. The nights usually always are comfortable though. How much do you pay for peaches there. Esther said they were eight dollars a bushel in Knoxville and not very nice.
When Mary was broken out in Lake Charles, you were right as usual Mom about that just being a baby rash because her skin is so nice now. One day she had a little heat on her and it looked different from that other rash. Tonight she was smiling for Elmer and a couple of times she laughed out loud.
I guess I'll have to start getting after Elmer for talking so low. When Deans were over yesterday I had to strain to hear what he said. I don't know why he does that but probably doesn't realize it.
I ordered two rose bedspreads from Sears and an end table. Also a swing for Jimmie which just cost 2.98. I've given up hopes of them fixing that play area under the big tree. Remember when you noticed those swings up on the hill Mom and I was sure they must be private ones.
Right now I want [you] to write to please tell me how you are, Pop. Are you fine now or not so good. I haven't heard a word about it for so long I'm beginning to wonder what's what. I hope you are feeling real good but do want to know.
Mrs. Davy went shopping with me today and brought her kids over here. I didn't have to pay Mary Frances as her mother went with me so I told Betty to pay her for taking care of her children. Betty had spent all of her money so asked me to pay Mary for her which I did. I'm not going to let her forget about it though.
Mother that box you used to send the things in was what some of your books on the usage of English were in wasn't it. It's such a good box I'll send it back to you with something in it. It sure seems swell not to have roaches. I certainly hate the dirty things.
It's almost eleven so guess I'll go to bed now. Saturday night we didn't get home until 1:30. I drove over here about midnight to see how everything was going and neither Jimmie nor Mary had waked up and Mary Frances said it was alright with her if we stayed longer.
About 4:30 Sunday morning Elmer was awakened by things running all over him. He opened his eyes and there Jimmie was standing by the bed with all his cars and running them all over Elmer. When he saw Elmer open his eyes right away he said, "tell me Georgie Porgie". Elmer put Jimmie in bed with him and told him Georgie Porgie and then they both went back to sleep.
Well folks I guess I'll go to bed now. Mom have you heard anything about Bob Jenson's wife?
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading