Wednesday, November 26, 2008

647 5/10/1945 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, May 10, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Mother,
Another nice letter from you today and thanks for the birthday card. Please do not feel you should send anything. I’m all thru celebrating my birthdays anyway. However, I have gotten quite a few nice cards.
Monday night, for our anniversary, Cully brought me 6 beautiful red roses. Of course, when he left that morning, he didn’t even know what day it was. Oh well, he is pretty good anyway.
I was glad to get the addresses. I wrote to both Uncle Carl and Stella this afternoon. The reason I owed so many letters was I hadn’t answered many of the Christmas letters and notes. Now as a lot of them answer me I will not write again until next Christmas. I usually keep up on my regular correspondence pretty well but still try to write to too many. I had an answer from Aunt Ruth today. She liked the picture of the girls. Says Fanchon is coming along fine but failed to send me her address. Do you happen to know it. Otherwise I will send another card to Ruth.
I’m so glad you found olives for Jim at the cabin. At the time I bought them I had no idea they would be sent to India. How did you send mayonnaise to him?
I’m happy about the end of the European war but do not feel there is anything to celebrate until the Japs are licked too. I do feel it should go fast now though as it ought to break their spirit along with all the extra help the boys in the Pacific will get now.
No, I do not exchange birthday or anniversary gifts with Viola anymore – only Christmas. However, if and when you do have time, I could always use the extra daily either for myself or could give it to some of our many friends here who are always doing something nice for us – or could send it to Vi for Christmas.
We had a wonderful dinner and evening at Humberstone’s last night. They also had the Murphys and Sporrers. Betty had a beautiful big birthday cake and ice cream for dessert. I didn’t even know she knew when my birthday was.
Tomorrow night our club meets again. Saturday night we go to Kaspar’s. Then, finally, to the Barn Dance that we have been waiting to do for so many weeks.
Cully is going to play softball every Tuesday evening up in our park with the men in the neighborhood. I know he will enjoy it a lot. He also plans to get in some more night school during the summer session. Might as well make good use of all the extra time we have. I’d like to go to school too.
Jeannie certainly hates to go to bed. She has so much fun all the time she never wants to stop playing. Ruthie has fun teaching Jeannie nursery rhymes.
It was fun to hear about the cabin. Glad everything stays so nice. Have you heard anything at all of Ma Jones? I don’t see how Youds will get $3500 for their cabin.
If I write to Helen before I hear from you, I will send her Jim’s letter. I had better write to Jim again soon too.
I will try to send another box to you soon with more toilet paper, etc. There seems to be no shortage here as yet. To play safe I will keep a good supply on hand. I couldn’t get any sugar yesterday but still have 15 or 20 lbs in the attic. More soon.
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading