Thursday, October 23, 2008

283 10/26/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
General Mills, Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota
Monday, October 26, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
Just got Pop's nice letter. It was real nice and I sure was glad to get it.
I brought the sport section down this morning and left it in the wash room. I went back to get it and it was gone. I don't know what to do now but I will try to get another one. The game Saturday was grand. The whole first half was all thrills. The Purdue team was plenty strong and really outplayed our boys all the way through, the score being 6-0 for Minnesota, though, but then during the second half Purdue was all played out or something because we just walked away from them. Berman had our 4th team in and they were still walking away with the game. Every one of those kids is swell. A few of the boys played for the first time and they were certainly proving that they knew their stuff. Now all we need to do is beat Northwestern next week. I don't see how we can lose but many say that N.W. has a pretty hard team to beat. Our tickets aren't so very good but just having them is swell. They are at the very end of the field but in the first row so no one can stand up in front of us anyway. They have a complete sell out of tickets. They are sending loads of special trains from here - 10,400 in all (The 10,400 isn't the no. of trains, but people going to the game.) I had a letter from Bill, Friday. It wasn't so very nice but the funny part of it is, he told me that he was going to take a little trip to Chicago on business the end of the month - that will be next weekend. I wonder if I will run into him. Irv will be there too on his honeymoon. Gosh, maybe we can all get together.
You must have had a lot of fun the day you went to Seattle. It sure is swell to have a day off once in a while. Otherwise the only time you could go anyplace is Sunday and that is altogether different because the stores, Market, and stuff are all closed.
It was a year ago today that mother, Helen and I moved into the apartment. A lot has happened since then. It is nice that Helen and I both could get out there for a visit. I hope it won't be long before we can see you again. Do you suppose there is any chance that you will drive back here next summer? With the car it wouldn't be such a terribly hard trip if you could get three weeks. One of us could take a train out and ride back here with you and then the other one could ride back with you and take a train home or else stay there. It would cut down a lot on the expense too.
This Dorothy that works at Sears would like to get an apartment with Helen and me. She is a real nice girl and I am sure she'd be fair and everything but I can't like the idea. It would help a lot with the expenses too but I still think we'd be better off getting a smaller place and just have the two of us. What I want is a one-room apartment with a little kitchen and bath. That's all we need and it wouldn't be so much work to keep up either. I hope we can find just what we want.
Helen' feet seem to be a little better. She went to work today but they still are plenty gooey. I can't stand to look at them at all and they smell terrible. I'm not worried though and don't think Helen is either. It's just that there is no use keeping them that way when we know it isn't necessary. At first it sort of frightened me to see the sores but at least that much is met[?].
We are not busy today and the office is real warm so I feel lazy and sleepy. I have to walk around every little while to keep from going to sleep sitting at my desk.
Della and her friend Ted are getting quite serious. I think she'd get a ring for xmas. He is 5 years younger than she is.
Yesterday Cully and I rode out to the airport. They are dedicating the new field. They have enlarged the old one and made cement runways so during wet weather the planes will have no trouble landing. They were supposed to have a lot of stunt flying, etc. but the wind was blowing so hard they couldn't. There were thousands of people out there, though, and disappointed too. We came back to town and went to the Minnesota. We saw "Anthony Adverse". It is a wonderful picture - rather hard to follow, though, and nothing for a child to see - it would be too deep and hard to understand, but I enjoyed it a lot. We then went down to Hennepin and Lake and had our supper at the Granada Café, and went right home. I've been getting a lot of good sleep lately and it helps a lot.
The weather turned out swell for the game Saturday. We were lucky after all the cold we had been having. It was windy but quite warm. It is cold again today - 18 this morning. Yesterday was awful. You folks are too lucky to have it so nice.
Helen won a $1.00 Jack Pot Saturday. I'm in on a $25.00 for next week. It pays $5.00 at the end of each quarter and $10.00 at the final score. Gosh I'd like to win some of it. Bob Bourgerie won $15.00 a week ago and then this last Saturday he won another $10.00. Pretty lucky. He is married now and sure can use it too.
Helen Brust and Ed Ericson are engaged. She has a beautiful ring. I think probably they will be married in the spring. I wonder if he will turn Catholic?
Good Bye again. Until tomorrow.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading