Wednesday, November 26, 2008

51 3/22/1945 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Thursday, March 22, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer just came home from bowling and I just finished washing my hair. I have started washing the kitchen walls and spent most of the evening doing that while Jimmie soaked in the tub. It sure is a job washing the walls but it looks so nice I think it is worth it. I want to do the kitchen, living room and bathroom but am going to leave the bedrooms. After our hot weather it turned cold again so we had to have a fire but tomorrow is supposed to be much warmer.
The package came and those little books are wonderful. Edith said Doug could read pretty good but he was so anxious to hear the stories that he wanted her to read them to him so she did. She asked me to thank you for it. Jimmie, of course, loves both the kitten and the dog book. He carries them around the house and as soon as I sit down he is right there. Last night Elmer read the stories to him. Thanks very, very much for fixing up my housecoat. I have it right now. I started to mend it once but gave up when I sewed the sleeve up wrong. You certainly fixed it up nicely. The piece for my meat grinder is just a little too big so it won't fit. I'm going to try it again, though, in hopes I can think of something.
The other day Edith and I and the kids drove to Clinton, which is just a little ways outside the gates. There we got margarine and meat and there were no crowds or long lines. It was the first margarine we had had for a long time.
We still haven't gotten our application for the new tires. That is, I mean, we've put in the application but are waiting for the certificates. Elmer doesn't know what is holding them up. I hope we get them soon because one of our tires is ready to blow out anytime. I wanted to go to the lecture so bad, especially because the lecturer is from Seattle, but the church services and also where the lecture was is in the East Chapel now and that is on the other end of Oak Ridge and I didn't want to drive over there alone with the bad tire.
We learned a lot of new waltz steps at dancing class last time. We are anxious to practice them so are going over to the recreation hall Friday night and dance. Nell always has dates on Saturday nights but can come on Fridays. I had a letter from Glad with Jimmie's letter. He certainly writes you nice long ones. I wonder how much money he owes from his furlough. Glad says Whiting, Indiana is closer to her than downtown Chicago. She said if we were sent there she would try to find us a house before we got there.
Morning
Dear Folks, I will give this to Elmer to mail this morning but will get a letter written to you this weekend for sure.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading