Thursday, November 6, 2008

476 4/1/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Thursday, April 01, 1943
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
This is just going to be a hurried letter because it is after eleven and I am so sleepy but I just wrote to Jim and I wanted to write to you and enclose his letter and mail it the first thing in the morning. Isn’t this a swell letter from him and you can send it back because I want to keep his letters too. Poor Jim, I can sympathize with him when he gets those conscious pains he writes about when he starts thinking of you folks. I’ve gone through the same thing and it is really awful. I can remember every mean thing I have ever done in my life to the kids and the times I have acted horrid to you folks and everything but I told Jim not to worry about things like that because quarrels and fights and worries all make up a family and it wouldn’t be natural any other way. All us kids know you folks have given up and given up for us and have always been so swell to us and we appreciate everything but a person has to grow up first until they do I guess.
I think it’s the worst thing in the world that a family has to be separated but maybe we can all get together when this war is over. I have a box of candy for you I am going to mail tomorrow. I sent Jim a billfold and a pair of pajamas and I have lots of coat hangers so am going to send him some tomorrow. Esther Dean is coming down tomorrow too and help me make cookies for Jim. He said in his letter he has had only one since being in the army. Gosh Folks, I am so sleepy that I’ll have to stop but I’ll write more of a letter tomorrow night. Tell Glad I haven’t forgotten about her and am going to write to her right away and send the present to her baby.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading