Thursday, October 23, 2008

287 12/11/1936 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Friday, December 11, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear folks:
I am going to start a letter but do not know how far I will get with it. After today we should not be so very busy until the first of the year.
I am getting along just swell with my shopping. I bought a cute apron at our new Penney store for 25¢ for Grandma. We will put a hankie in the pocket. For Muriel, I finished one of those aprons I started last year. We got Lois J. a cute pair of gloves, Earle - sheet music. I bought Viola hose. They were the regular $1.15 on sale for 89¢ at Thomas.
Tomorrow noon Cully is coming down to meet me. We are going to take his young brother around to the toy departments. He will like that.
I am staying home tonight and will address my cards. That will be a big job off my mind.
Our trip to Bemidji was swell. The kids picked me up at the office at 1 o'clock. It was a beautiful, sunny day. We were up there about 7 o'clock or so. We had a nice visit with this family that had the deer for us - then we went downtown and had our dinner and started back.
There was more snow up there and a lot colder but it was so light and nice. There was a full moon, the highway was clear so the driving was easy. We got back to Mpls at 2:30 A.M. (Sunday). It wasn't bad time for driving 575 miles. We changed drivers often so no one was the least bit tired.
I guess that will be my last trip until next summer.
Bill is supposed to be home a week from tomorrow but I haven't heard a word from him for over a week. I can't see that there is any excuse for that.
St. Paul beat Tulsa 3-0 last night. I did not go to the game but was home and listened to it over the radio. Cully made one of the 3 goals.
I surely do hope your package gets here on time. We will make sure that you get yours too. I will try to remember to send Mrs. Sweigle's silver along, the tree lights and my red wool dress.
This morning it was 17ยบ below zero out at the airport. It was warmer in town but still plenty chilly.
Della and I are going to the Fashion Beauty Shop next Tuesday to get our permanents. They will be the $2.50 ones. I hope I get a good one.
Mable came down this noon and had lunch with me. I had ordered some Christmas cards from her so she delivered them. There are 50 in a box for 98¢ and I got the little Scotty dogs.
I wonder what Muriel has for me this year. It really is dumb to keep exchanging gifts. I will try to write her a real long letter after Xmas. Have you gotten your tree yet?
Well - will close again.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading