Friday, November 28, 2008

162 5/4/1947 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, May 04, 1947
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
We arrived back in Minneapolis last night on schedule and I can't say it seems good to be back. Elmer was at the train to meet us and he really is swell, as far as that goes. The trip back was very nice. The kids were awfully good and we had the best conductor and porter that I have ever had and they helped to make the trip really enjoyable. The first night I went right to bed but the second night I put Jimmy and Mary to bed and the porter watched them for me while I went back to the observation car. The third night the porter made the bed for the kids since we didn't get off until eleven, and they went to sleep early, so I went back to the observation car and played cards with a soldier, marine and an engineer until we got to Minneapolis. Traveling the way I did this time has a roomette beat all to pieces. Jimmy and Mary had a lot more fun and I met lots of people, which all makes the time pass quickly. The berth was much larger than the one in the roomette so we managed just fine that way. As soon as we got back to the house Jimmy kept telling Elmer he knew a secret so finally I told Jimmy to go ahead and tell him the secret so he told him all he knew about Jack, which wasn't too much, other than I had gone out with him. Elmer didn't say much about it but I don't know what he was thinking.
I'm still in hopes of Elmer leaving here. We were talking about the house today and I want him to sell it and keep his job here for a while and save all the money we can and then leave. Elmer has been looking for a place to rent and as soon as we can find one we will take it. Bob wants to get married so is interested in buying the lot from us. That is my main objective, to get rid of the house.
The weather is chilly here but spring-like so should be warming up soon. This afternoon we went down to the depot after my trunk and suitcase and then went to Port Arthur, up on Lake Street, and had chow mein. Jimmy wants to go back to Enumclaw. He said the only reason he wanted to leave there was so he could ride on the train again. It's too bad they wouldn't accept the golf clubs. I wondered afterward if they would have taken them with all the wrapping off. I forgot all about buying Jim gas for taking me in and I certainly intended to. The lunch was just swell you sent along. Every bit of it was eaten before we got off the train. The kids especially liked the animal crackers.
Elmer doesn't take the car to work, so tomorrow I am going to take some things to the cleaners and then go and see Selma and Eden. I called Mrs. Dahlstrom today and told her how well Glad was getting along. I will be anxious to hear more about her. I'm sorry I didn't get to see her again but I still say I am coming back there to live, whether Elmer comes or not. His folks are the same as ever. Grandma Carlson is so jealous. She keeps asking the kids if they like you better than her and they say yes. Elmer had their tricycles put together so they have had lots of fun with them today. Well Folks, I want to write to the girls and Jim so will stop and thanks for everything and be sure and get your coffee table fixed and I am going to pay for it.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading