Wednesday, November 26, 2008

53 4/6/1945 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Friday, April 06, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Friday Night
Dear Folks,
A nice letter came from you today and Mother, you said you seemed to get slower and slower about writing and that's just the way I am too. I want to write to you much more than I do and think about it every night but there always seems to be so much to do. Mary goes to bed real early but when Jimmie has a nap he stays up later but I got him into bed early tonight too.
I sent the snow suit to the cleaners and it will be just swell for Mary next winter. I am awfully glad to have it. Wednesday night I got a permanent and it is swell to have curly hair again.
They have already started the work on the new building so we will be here for sure several months longer unless something happens that Elmer should change jobs but I don't think he will be able to get a release. I know Mr. Haugeto wants him and he is going to the Whiting job so we may still get there. I would like to go there so I could see Glad. If the war ends we probably will be leaving too. It surely sounds encouraging now doesn't it with Russia going against Japan. So many think that when it is over with Germany that Japan will give up. I hope so.
Doug liked his Easter card very much and it pleased Edith just as much. She said you wrote such a nice note on it. I guess I told you Doug was sick in bed when it came. He is all right now though.
What kind of a hat did you get, Mom. The weather was bad here all day Easter too. It rained hard most of the time and was much colder.
I bet Phyllis was excited about seeing her husband again. It must have been a funny feeling to be telling him all about the baby he didn't know anything about.
I am so glad Stella has her new house and it was nice she had a big house warming. What will she do with the coffee table she had.
I wish so much I could have you folks over to my house for dinner.
I ordered a nice shirt for you Pop from Sears to make up for the one you sent back but the order came today and they didn't have the shirts. I sent in quite a big order. Some clothes for Jimmie and all I got was the hose and a brassiere. We ordered a hose, it only cost a dollar and a half, and I planted grass seed the other day and surely hope it comes up. There are field offices all over and they furnish all the seed and garden tools so I got a rake and hoe but this dried up clay is almost impossible to dig up. It is fun working out in the yard a little anyway. The weather has turned so much colder that we have to have a fire again. I surely hope it doesn't get my kitchen walls dirty and am not going to wash any more until I am sure we are through with the furnace.
Tomorrow Edith and I are going to Clinton again to try and get some meat and margarine. I'm sending you a few meat points and it you need any blue ones tell me because I have lots of those. Here's another gas stamp too.
I have a big stack of clothes to fold so I guess I better stop and get that done because we are leaving for Clinton about nine o'clock tomorrow and I want to get as much done tonight as I can. Two wheels came off from Jimmie's wagon today and I want to put them back on too. Goodnight for now Folks, and I'll write more later. I'm glad you had another letter from Jim.
With love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading