Sunday, November 23, 2008

1 6/19/1944 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Monday, June 19, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Albert,
This has been another hot day. Saturday and Sunday were record breaking and this no doubt has been another one.
Was glad to get the three letters from you Saturday. The two forwarded from Lake Charles explains why I waited so long for a letter there. Everyone complains of the mail services they have there.
It was good to have the wire from Jimmie although it could not tell us much. Hope our letters reach him soon as well as well as we hope for his. Do not wonder at Thompsons feeling anxious for their boy. These are trying times for all parents with sons overseas.
Glad the mother with baby Bob wrote me a card - wish you had sent it on to me. Perhaps it will not be too late to reach her with a reply to Alexander.
Tomorrow night I leave for Chicago. It will be nice to see the kids and their new home - although I am not one bit excited about Minneapolis. If I should stop off there and tried to see anyone I'd not know where to draw the line who to see and who not to see. I am not going to worry about it. I only want to get to Portland and then home as planned.
It was nice of Inez and Mrs. Jensen to invite you for dinner last Tuesday and Wednesday nights. When I get home perhaps I can have them up at the cabin. Stella has done so much for you too. If I have a chance to shop in Chicago will try to buy something nice for her there. Lake Charles was a horrid place to shop and there is no place here.
Helen had planned to buy you a gift for Father's Day, then when she didn't get that done she was going to write and send money. She felt terrible yesterday when she remembered it was the day and she had done nothing for you.
I am glad you were able to buy a bond - also signed up again for payroll deductions.
Helen hates to think of me leaving but she would feel that way no matter how long I stayed. It is just four weeks tomorrow night since I reached Lake Charles.
The express came today. We have the dishes washed and in the cupboard. It seems like a lot of dishes after keeping house for nearly a week with the few we brought with us in the car.
Elmer got the book Stella sent and was very glad to have it. he needs it in his work. I can send the baby dresses when I get home. In this heat the baby only wears a diaper, and sometimes not even that.
I have your book 3 which has the shoe stamp. Too bad, but I'll give it to Stella when I come. I thought I had left all your books, but find I did not. Sorry to lose out on the sugar. Helen will give me some extra stamps which will help.
I see you have been cooking yourself some good meals when you are home to eat. I have not cared much about eating, but certainly do drink a lot of ice tea, ice water, and lemonade.
The ration board gave Helen all the gas she needed - no trouble about it at all.
I'll stop now. Helen is frying chicken for dinner and I will take care of Mary.
-----------------------------
Supper over - dishes done and Helen and I have had a nice ride up on the ridge where we could overlook the country side.
When Elmer came home tonight he brought us a lot of mail. A letter from Jim to Helen which we were very glad to get. he said he was writing home. Seemed real happy. Said he hoped he could sweat it out there in India for the duration.
I received a card from Mrs. Hegburg, the letter from Mrs. Zilliox that you sent on to me, and a letter from Gladys. I was awfully glad to hear from her. After sending the wire Friday I remembered that she did not have our address here. In the letter I got today she said she had just received my wire and a letter from you giving her Helen's address. Cully is through work at 5:15. I am due in at 6:00 at the same station Cully leaves from for home. Said their phone had just been connected so Cully could call in case my train was late. She also gave me the phone number. Said they would do what they could to make reservations for me West.
Elmer will mail this in the morning. Will write often so you will know how I am getting along.
With love, Sadie
The paper said tonight it was 102 degrees above yesterday.
The hottest in 78 years.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading