Sunday, November 23, 2008

5 6/9/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Friday, June 09, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
Received a letter from you yesterday written Sunday. I phoned Mrs. Jenson, she was pleased to hear that the boys had a nice time, she had not heard from Bob yet.
I was over to the Benson's for dinner last night. I brought over a can of tomatoes for her spaghetti and meatballs. It all was very good, we had rhubarb pie also.
Stella has washed most of my things each week so the washing isn't piling up. Stella is going to Seattle with Mrs. Jacobs and Bernice Allen tomorrow.
This evening I bought a rib steak and had fried potatoes and what was left of a can of peas also a big piece of pie that Stella sent home with me last night.
Stella says that she could not find the baby dresses so she sent the book to Elmer.
It has been a warm day, but there was a nice breeze blowing. I have had the house all opened up this evening.
We are busy at the shop. Of course a lot of fellows are taking their vacation. I haven't heard about anyone being off next week. Mr. Brown is sick a lot with some stomach trouble has him away all week. Mrs. Brown has had to stay home with him.
My new shoes are very comfortable. I got along better today although I was in trouble some times, but was able to work it off.
Received a note for you from Mrs. Osborne. I will enclose it.
I will pay bills Monday. Water and Garbage $1.40, Jensen's $11.13, Telephone $8.13. Jim's call came to $3.75, tax $0.93, total $4.68. I will pay my ride tomorrow $3.50 total of $24.16. I have $32.60 in hand so think I can bank $50.00 Monday. The check I received today was for $57.00 and a few cents acct May 30th.
I don't see how you can use your sugar stamp for half your sugar as you will not be there. I get the other half. Stella will handle my share here [?]. It has to be taken care of by June 15th.
Well it is 8:20 so I must get to bed will add a few lines tomorrow before mailing.
Good night. Love, Pop.
P.S. Evening 9th found your Sunday Monday letter. It must have been a nice ride out to camp. Too bad the colored lady didn't show up to do the wash. I don't suppose you will be bothered by people looking at the house now.
Good night again. Pop.
5:30 a.m. I am all ready for work so will run down and mail this letter. I will write to Knoxville after this.
Love, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading