Sunday, November 23, 2008

606 5/31/1944 Albert Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington
Wednesday, May 31, 1944
Sadie Erwin
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana

Dear Sadie,
Received your letter of the 28th this evening and was very glad to get it.
I bet you have been very busy, it’s funny that people would come visiting so soon. I guess that the worst is over now.
It certainly costs plenty to go to Knoxville, Tennessee. Do you expect to make that or do you think that Elmer can come after Helen.
We went to Seattle last night. The Seattle team won both games and went into 1st place. There was a big crowd out, 13,400 paid customers and a lot of service men that didn’t count. The 1st game was a close one, 2 to 1, for Seattle. It was supposed to be a 7 inning game but was tied up then so they went into the 8th. The second game was 10 to 3 for Seattle and was a 9 inning game and ended at 12 o’clock. We stopped at Renton for sandwiches. Had to wait quite a while. Got home and to bed at 1:45. Looked at the paper until 2 am. Had a good sleep and got up at 4:40. Have been rather sleepy all day.
Stella is getting things fixed up for her party tomorrow evening. I was over there for supper, a very good one too, ham and spuds and ham gravy, corn bread. Stella is feeling better now. Sandra and Bernice have colds. Sandra was quite feverish. Even the dog has a cold.
Now work is supposed to be slowing up for at least a month. They are having the help take their vacation now, or at least be laid off for a week.
Did you get weighed on your arrival there, with all the heat and work you should be able to reduce some.
Leo is leaving Saturday evening for Missoula, Montana for a week or two. This is his vacation so he is not taking his family with him. He will not be made our lead man.
I have watered the plants once and will water them again after the party.
How is Helen feeling anyway. I bet she wishes that Elmer was with her. Little Jimmie will soon like his baby sister.
Mr. Hawthorne said that there was a lot of Spanish moss on the trees in the south. Have you noticed any.
Will this new granddaughter be a bottle baby. I hate to get back to my troubles, but my ankles are rather bad now. Other days it has been the ball of my feet or my heels and when I stand up it takes a moment before I can get a going and it makes me walk rather awkward and makes me very tired by evening. Please understand that I am not feeling too bad for myself just letting you know how things are. I get so bad sometimes that I can hardly stand then I get busy and do some work and get relief but I don’t seem to be able to throw the error off.
Please don’t worry about it because one of these times I will find that all is well. I must close now so that Stella can mail this for me when she goes home.
Love to you all, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading