Friday, November 28, 2008

93 3/11/1947 Elmer Carlson to Helen Carlson

Elmer Carlson
3409 Fremont Ave. South, Minneapolis 8, Minnesota
Tuesday, March 11, 1947
Helen Carlson
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Darling Helen, Jimmy, and Mary,
It certainly was fun to talk to you all Sunday morning. I heard Jimmy tell me to come out, but I couldn't hear much else he said, and I couldn't tell what Mary said. I enjoyed hearing their voices, though. I miss you all very much. I love you very much, Helen, and I wish that I could have a date with you tonight. Mother is playing solitaire, and Bob is studying so it is very quiet here. Dad went out tonight, and that annoyed Mother very much. She just has to have some one to pick on. However, she can't help that so I forgive her. I went to "work" today for the first time in about a month and a half. It's about time isn't it? L&K kept putting me off so I got tired of that, and I called Magney-Tussler & Setter and told them if the job was still open, I would come to work. So today I reported, and then I sat around all day doing nothing. If they want to pay me for that I guess its alright, though. It does look as if it could be interesting, though. However it is the sort of a job where they will keep you as long as they have plenty of work coming in, but if it slows up, they have to cut. However, I think that I am going to like it. Saturday night Dad went to the club so I took Mother to a show. That sounds good anyhow, doesn't it? We were going to the Uptown, but there was an hour's wait so we went to the Granada. While we were going in, we saw Kenny and Johnny who also had been turned away from the Uptown. Sunday night, I went to the Uptown alone, and I got in this time. I saw James Stewart in a show that was really one of the best that I have ever seen. I would recommend it to you except that I can't remember the title.
I went to the dentist Monday morning for the last time for a while. I guess that I am all done now except that he recommended that I should back up three of my front teeth with gold. He said it wouldn't show except a little bit on the bottom. He says that they might break off if I don't have that done as they are very thin at the edge, evidently from grinding my teeth. I told Vernie that I would tell you about it, and sometime after you came back, you would make me go. Tomorrow I have to work until 9:00 PM. They work a 44 hour week, but instead of working Saturdays, they work late on Wednesdays. On the house, I am still waiting for the lawyer to get the deed drawn. Dad called him today for me, and he said that he thought he could get it out tomorrow. We went down to the bank, Saturday, and asked about a loan. They will give us $6000 on a regular mortgage which will make payments of about $45 a month. Then we would owe Dad the other $4000 plus or minus. We would really be in debt, but I guess we might as well try it. Dad is willing to put his money into it, and I don't see how we can lose because if things get too tough, I think we can always sell it at a profit.
I'm going to bed soon, darling., and dream of you. When I do, I see you as plain as anything, sitting right next to me, and I reach out and touch you. Hurry back so I don't have to dream any more.
Love, Elmer

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading