Tuesday, October 21, 2008

751 1/31/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, January 31, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
Our winter is still with us. Has snowed all day and is still snowing.
No school today and up to noon no stage had been able to get thru from Buckley.
Mrs. Prest came in after me about 1 P. M. Stella and I went out for the afternoon. The mills have not been working this week so Sam and their border, Earle, were home. We had a good dinner about 4. Then Earle brought us home about 5:30. Sam said he was certainly sorry not to see you before you left. I told him how short a time you had to see anyone. He is in hopes you come out after us next summer so he can see you then. They have a nice place.
Helen took me to the show tonight (bargain night). It only cost 25¢ for us two. While we were gone Miss Madson and Miss Smith called.
This afternoon while I was at Prest’s Mrs. Smith came down. She wants me to take care of her boys Monday and Friday of next week. I am not very crazy about it, but suppose I will anyway.
This being the last day of the month will send you a list of what I have spent the month of Jan. After my bills come in will let you know how much I owe. My groceries have cost me more this month. Of course, Gladys has been home where last month she was in Canada more than two weeks. Then Hoey’s dinner cost something too. I have spent 18.08 cash, charged groceries at Patterson 2.99 and 5.37 at Swain’s. Total groceries for the month $26.44.
The few jobs the girls have had lately has helped them out a little. For January all told we earned 3.25. I do not enter what they make or cash received unless they give it to me. Am sending the report to give you an idea where the money is going. I have been giving the girls a little money during the cold weather for hot lunches at school. It is not much each time, but counts up for all three during the month.
We will look for a letter from you tomorrow. I hope this bad weather does not delay our mail too much. The girls shoveled our back walk today and tonight it is snowed and drifted full. Evergreen trees are hanging full of snow. Our hedge is weighed down with more than a foot. Mr. Eagon said there were drifts 6 feet high out on the pavement this morning.
I will have Jimmie’s hair cut soon, then his picture taken for you.
Sam Prest thinks Welsh is bootlegging it again. A big place out near Crane’s was raided a short time ago. They were making 500 gallons a day in 5 big vats. Will write tomorrow night.
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading