Wednesday, October 29, 2008

365 12/8/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, December 08, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Helen:
I’d better let you know the latest on the xmas presents.
I have a bedspread for mother, a slip, and hose for Stella, a tie and socks for Harold. For Pop I bought a $4.00 all wool coat-sweater. It is a dandy. It is a dark blue but not navy. I’m sure he will like it. I’ll put it from both of us. Then in a separate package I’m sending him a blue wool tie and 2 pair of socks. Send me what you think best - $1.50 would be okay – or else just keep it as part of your present. Will that be alright?
I still have to get something for the baby and some small thing for Jim. I told you I sent money for mother to buy him something in the ski line.
I have most of my shopping done, and I’m sure glad.
Last night I addressed a bunch of cards and then visited with the girls until late. We just never get to bed. We are still running around back and forth to each other’s apartments at 1 and 2 in the morning.
I did a washing this morning when I got up. Tonight Edith and I are going down to the Graemer to play bridge with some of those girls.
Al and Ev, Cully’s friends, called today and said they’d pick me up at 5 o’clock Saturday evening. We are going out for dinner and then to a show. Isn’t that nice of them? People all seem so nice here.
Gee, the box I’ll be sending the folks is a big one. I wish I could be there for Christmas, don’t you?
What are you getting Elmer? I’ll send him a pair of socks, but don’t tell him. All I’m getting Cully is a pair of pajamas and a belt and buckle. He needs pajamas badly. If you see any nice ones for $1.00 and you wanted to spend that much he could use them. I think he’d wear size C.
I’ve got sort of a cold – runny nose, etc. I feel okay though. I have to keep wiping my nose so it is all red and sore. Are you going to send grandma anything? I think I will if I can find something nice but cheap. I’m practically broke now.
What is Selma’s address?
Poor Betty Martin. I hope she doesn’t marry Bill. Don’t you? How are Peach and Chuck getting along. Does Warnie ever see Myrt? Or who does he go with.
Write soon and tell Elmer “Hello”.
Cully won’t be home until Sunday. I sure miss him when he is away. I think I fall harder for him every day. We get along swell and have lots of fun.
More soon,
Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading