Tuesday, December 2, 2008

265 3/7/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Monday, March 07, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
A nice letter came from you today. I'm glad Louie came down on his price a little. You folks have certainly worked up a good business and it will be a nice feeling to have it all completely yours.
I had a letter from Mrs. Ellsworth today and she will be back in Minneapolis in April. She has weathered the winter, but I'll enclose her letter and maybe you will know what experience it was that Charity went through this winter. I can't figure out what it is.
I bought Jimmy a new pair of jeans today. They are size 10. Seems impossible I have such a big boy. It won't be long before he catches up to Elmer.
Sunday I saw Rose at church again. I wonder if she has written this week. She probably hasn't, so I'll tell you - her father died last Wednesday. She wanted to be the one to tell you and I promised her I wouldn't say anything. They are not going to tell Mrs. Dickinson and hope to keep it from her as she is just barely struggling along and they are afraid the bad news would be too much for her.
Last Friday night I went to the sewing club which was at Ralph's place. He and his wife live in a small apartment on 44th and Upton above a grocery store. Ralph works in the grocery store. Anyway, Frances picked me up and I always enjoy the evening so much with all of them. Instead of sewing this time, Gerry Woodfill had a woman up demonstrating cosmetics. We had so much fun because she fixed each one of us all up with eye shadow and the whole works. We all looked like different girls. We especially had a lot of fun with Frances because she doesn't even use lipstick and has never had face cream on and she really did look much better when this demonstrator finished with her and Frances turned right around and ordered 7 dollars worth of cosmetics. Mayme wasn't there because her legs were bothering her. I think she had told me before she has rheumatism. Mr. Praull is in bed all the time now and has a lot of pain.
Jan Martin will be leaving for California next Monday night so she will bring the two boys over after supper. Jimmy didn't want to give up his room so I am going to give the boys Mary's room downstairs and Mary will sleep upstairs. She has wanted to move up there anyway. She is feeling fine now but the mumps are certainly spreading all over the neighborhood.
Eden and Wally and their girls were over yesterday (Sunday) and had supper with us. There is a nice house in Anoka they want to buy so badly. It is just a year old and is all carpeted. The bedrooms and even the closets. It has two bedrooms with the unfinished upstairs. It is selling for 12 thousand and they need 7 thousand dollars for the down payment and don't have anything close to that amount. They don't know what to do because they can't buy and there is nothing to rent.
We have been having spring weather and practically all of the snow is gone. Two years ago at this time I was out there and your weather was beautiful then too. Stella and I took the children down to Redondo one day in March and it was so warm they took off their shoes and stockings and went in wading.
I bought some pretty blue wool material to make Mary a spring coat. I am going to make leggings too out of the same material. I sure hope I can do a good job. If I don't rent a machine I can use either Mabel's or Doris's.
Doris is having a baby shower for a girl whose husband works with George. It is to be this Wednesday. We are going to put all the presents in Mary's doll buggy and have Mary wheel it in the living room. This afternoon Mary and I decorated the buggy with blue and pink crepe paper.
I'm so glad the weather is warmer so the car runs good. I told our gas station man how fast the car used gas and he said well I only bought four gallons at a time and every time he looked up I was going by.
Stella must be kind of lonesome with Harold gone all week. How is Harold's business in Seattle. I wonder if they will be moving there.
Does Gladys have a car seat for the baby. I just don't know what to get her. Have you any suggestions? Does she have one of those baby buntings.
Well Folks, it is getting late so I had better stop. I'll be anxious to hear more about the store. I'm glad the mill men are back to work. More later.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading