Thursday, November 27, 2008

80 8/6/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Tuesday, August 06, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mary and Jimmy are in the bathroom sailing boats in my new laundry tub so I'll try to get a few lines written before I fix some lunch. I've wanted one of these tubs for ages and today the store got three of them in so saved one for me. Now I can soak my clothes overnight before washing them.
These last few days have been exciting as we have been talking about moving out there. I shouldn't get excited about it until it is more definite but it is fun talking about it anyway. I would like to come by way of Yellowstone. Elmer wrote to the man whose name Cully gave him and the letter should be there now. I sure hope he answers right away offering Elmer a job. I'm sure we would find a house too as we always have so far. We don't have enough money to buy one so it would have to be a rental one for a while. If Elmer did get a job in Seattle maybe he could stay with Glad for a while and I could stay with you and I would do all your housework for you. I would hate to be a nuisance with the kids and everything. Anyway as long as Elmer has finally decided to go I sure hope he gets that job. We would sell our furniture, but I don't know about the refrigerator and electric stove. I hate to part with them as it is so hard to get them now.
Mom do you have molasses. There is none in town here and the salesmen say no more until Fall when the Fall corn is gathered. We have baked beans every Saturday night with molasses in them.
Mrs. Jackson's first husband is back with his mother and children. He came to see Mrs. Jackson one day to get the rest of the children's things and to tell her not to try to see the children any more. They act as though she committed a crime to re-marry but maybe there is more to it than I know.
Since Mrs. Jackson has a husband, they and the Rawlinses have become good friends. Sunday they were all going back and forth drinking, at least the men were, and making a lot of noise and hollering when they passed our house. I haven't seen Mrs. Jackson for two weeks at least and decided to not have anything to do with her either.
Here are some more pictures.
I had better stop now and get lunch over with so I can get the children into bed. Elmer told this Mr. Heath he could start work October 1st. That would give us this month to get out of here and a couple of weeks in Minneapolis. More later folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading