Wednesday, October 29, 2008

359 11/29/1938 Gladys Dahlstrom to Helen Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Tuesday, November 29, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Helen:
I thought you had broken an arm or something. Anyway, I was glad to hear from you. Cully got home last night. It sure was good to see him again. He will be home 6 days and then will leave for another whole week. I plan to do my Xmas shopping while he is away.
I can see we will have to get together on some ideas (you & I).
I’ll price ski suits for boys right away. I’m sort of waiting to hear from mother too. I asked her if Jim would like that and also told her to let me know what size and color. As soon as I get a price I’ll let you know. Maybe they will cost too much.
To bad about Marge Corl. I’m still O.K. I guess it is better I wait for another year as long as we are living here. The girls with babies are so tied down.
I’ve decided to buy mother a real nice bedspread. She needs one and now she is having her room painted and fixed up it will be extra nice. I’m glad you will get her something for herself. I can get stockings wholesale here. Real lovely 3 thread crepe hose for 3 for $1.90. They are regular $1.25 per pair. If you want me to get you a box send me the money. You could get some for yourself too – or shall I send you some for Xmas?
Let’s get Pop something different from a shirt? I don’t know what though. I also asked mother if he needed a new sweater.
Last Friday some of us girls went downtown and fooled around. The stores are so pretty now with the Christmas decorations. We ate dinner and went to a show. Saturday Ruby and I went down alone. I bought a new wool dress. It is green. The jacket is a soft plaid with yellow and black and the skirt is plain green. Cully likes it too, thank goodness. He is at practice now but as soon as he comes home we are going out to buy my coat. I’m going to get a fur one after all. He says he wants me to so I will look as nice as the rest of the girls. Isn’t he swell? Ruby and I looked at some and I have my heart set on a beautiful Hudson Seal. When I told Cully about it he said I should have bought it then. I’ll wait to mail this so I can tell you if I got it.
Cully was sick while in New York. Sort of the flu. He still doesn’t feel so hot. He also got a stick in his side during the last game so is all taped up. I will be glad when he gets out of this business.
How did your coat turn out? Are you wearing it?
When do you expect to be through school? How are things going at work. Do you keep busy?
Later:
We bought my coat and I sure like it. I probably won’t sleep much tonight. We ate our dinner out and went to a show. I can’t get over how swell Cully is to me.
Will close for now but please write soon. Hello to Elmer.
Love, Gladys
(I can buy regular $1.00 ties for 50¢. Shall I get you any?)

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading