Wednesday, October 22, 2008

758 2/25/1929 Sadie Erwin to Albert Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, February 25, 1929
Albert Erwin
2206 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis, Minnesota

Dear Albert,
Well, here I am at home again. We got here before 6 this evening. A little tired but enjoyed the trip very much.
Met some lovely people there. Do not think I would mind living in Vancouver if we had a good job there. Had the pleasure of seeing Stanley Park and met a lot of Science people. Most of them had taken class. Wish we could make a good living out west, then I would never care if I never saw Minneapolis. When summer comes, if it seems right, we will go back for a while until we have saved a little money, then come back, that is, if you will cut out loaning money to George Kallgren. If you can’t do that, I’ll stay here and you can find another housekeeper. I don’t think much of him and you will find he will get all he can from you. When does he promise to pay you back? I bet if you could meet some of his friends he has bled before you came to town, they could tell you a few things.
Saturday night we went to the Strand Theatre, Sunday to church. Sunday afternoon the Zilliaxes had a lot of company. Sunday evening we were invited out. Had a lovely time. Alma enjoyed it too. Our soldier with the violin was there too. We told Alma that we would not tease her about Vanhoof or Johnson any more, that our friend Edward Boyl had cut them out for good.
I got some dandy eggs from Swain’s just before I went to Canada for 0.37.
Jean did not go to Canada with us or Mrs. Zilliax did not come home with us. Three of your letters were waiting for me tonight. Written last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. Was glad to hear from you. Of course we like to be missed but do not want you too homesick. I think if we had ever had had brains enough to have left this town and found work in a city we would not be going east to live. That Chuckanut Drive certainly gives you a thrill. It rained hard all the way Friday, but today the sun shone most of the way down.
Hoey’s have a nice place and pay only 35.00 per month. I don’t like the sound of the cold houses all your friends have. I see where I won’t call on many of them next winter. They will have to wait until warm weather to entertain me.
I don’t think you would have any trouble getting back at Swain’s, he seems to be putting new ones on but people complain they are kids and don’t like it and claim he is losing business.
Well, I will stop for a few minutes, make the beds for the girls and get Jimmie ready for bed.
Now that is done and I will try to write some more.
Yes, I remember how dirty it was down on Lilly’s porch. It is very dirty in Vancouver too. Guess all cities are alike that way.
You had better keep your old shirts there. I will need them for old rags when I come. Don’t expect to move such things from here.
I met Mrs. Zilliax’s C. P. R. friends and wife. Seem like very nice people. He says the Soo is about on the rocks, that the C. P. R. told them to put on a fast train this summer from Portal, N. Dakota to Minneapolis or they would step in.
I am tired so will go to bed. Will write tomorrow when I feel more rested.
With love, Sadie.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading