Wednesday, December 3, 2008

219 8/15/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Tuesday, August 15, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:

It is hot out tonight but I guess we can't kick much because up until now it has been a cool and practically chilly summer. The hot weather is bound to show up sometime in this country. Your nice letter came the other day. Your trip up to Sunrise sounded wonderful. The kids were anxious to hear all about it and were disappointed that you didn't see any bear or deer.

I'll bet your davenport and chair look like a brand new set. Your house sure must look nice with all the fixing up you have been doing. That certainly was a wonderful buy on the buffet. I'm sure I can get sheets and pillow cases here if you want me to get you some. I know they have been advertised in the paper right along but I haven't paid much attention to the ads because I bought some just before you came to see me.

Last week Elmer had to go to Wisconsin to see about a job so he borrowed his father's car and we all, that is the kids and I, rode along with him. We left at 7:30 in the morning and got home about 2:30. It wasn't very far, just on the other side of Somerset. There was a nice little park there by the St. Croix River so Elmer let us off there while he went to see this man. We walked around the town and had a coke in a drugstore and bought some magazines and went back to the park and waited for Elmer. We had lunch in Stillwater on the way back.

Elmer and I have been playing cribbage just about every night. Elmer made us a swell cribbage board. It looks just like a real one. He can't beat me, though, and I am four games ahead right now.

Do you watch Jim and Ruth's television very much? Everyone is getting them here but I still have no desire for one. Nellie and Pierce got one last week and there are a couple of programs that Jimmy and Mary go over to see but I haven't even seen it yet. Last Friday night we were invited over to Jan and Warnie's and I thought we would play cards but we had to sit and watch the baseball game. Maybe if I were more of a sports fan I would enjoy television more.

I got my gas stove last week and I like it a lot. It heats so much quicker than my old electric. I'm advertising my electric one for sale this week for 15 dollars but really don't think I'll get it because everything is gas here now. If I can't sell it I will give it to the Goodwill to get rid of it.

I've had an awful cold the last few days but am beginning to get over it now. I kept my appointment at the doctor's yesterday, though, as I was anxious to see how the baby was coming along and everything is fine and it has a very strong heart beat. Did I tell you it is due on Thanksgiving.

Did you get to Paradise. I hope the day was nice and I'll be anxious to hear about it.

Well Folks, I had better stop for now but will write again soon for sure.

With Love, Helen

Thanks for the stamps. Here is the first one.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading