Wednesday, November 12, 2008

523 12/3/1943 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Friday, December 03, 1943
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Just a note to let you know I am home from Fort Wayne. We had such a nice time and I feel so rested. I took a nap every day while there and we got to bed fairly early every night. Ruthie had a wonderful time with the kids and I know she is going to miss them. Birdie and I planned to come home late this afternoon but Al had to come to Chicago on business and as he was driving we decided to come with him. Left at 10:30 and got in here at 2:30. Our bags will be home tonight around 9.
I’m more than anxious to see Cully as he has gotten his draft call and will be inducted December 22nd. I guess they have a week or 10 days after that so we will at least have him with us for Christmas.
Your nice letter was here with Jim’s surprise. He does seem young but he has known Shirley a long time and she comes from a nice family so I guess it should be okay once we get used to the idea. I do hope they wait until after the war.
Also had a letter from Helen saying Elmer hadn’t heard anymore and that they were looking around for a house.
Bill Thoms has been very low and not expected to live ever since Tuesday. Today he was some better and is now given a 70% chance to live. So many from around the hotel have offered blood – Frank Humberstone too. 20 different ones were called in the other night to try to get his type of blood.
Cully will be on a half-hour coast to coast broadcast next Monday December 6 over the Blue Network at 2:30 our time. Suppose that would be 12:30 or 4:30 there. I can’t remember which – 12:30 I guess. Anyway maybe you can hear him. It is a broadcast something like “Information Please”. There will be two others from some other line of work on with him. If I can get someone in to take care of the kids I will go down to watch.
Yes, this Chicago whirl certainly is different from Greenwater. It was so different even in Fort Wayne. The minute I got back to the Guyon the phone started to ring and people rushing in – we have no time to ourselves at all. I’m not going to make any plans until after Cully’s examination and he is actually gone because if he is near here or someplace where I can go along I want to be handy. More soon. Will keep you posted. Cully scored two goals in Boston Tuesday night.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading