Thursday, November 27, 2008

82 8/25/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Sunday, August 25, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I haven't written for several days but have had a cold, the first in ages. The jar of molasses came the first of the week and thank you very, very much. I haven't seen a good brand like that in ages. We had our beans Saturday night and they tasted swell. You surely sent the molasses fast. I was so surprised to get it as I thought my letter hardly had time to get out there. Have you had the work started on your car yet? Will you be without it long.
Elmer still hasn't heard from that Mr. Heath in Seattle about the job so maybe he isn't interested. Every morning I'm so anxious to get to the post office to see if a letter has come from him.
The County Fair has been here all week so we went to the Carnival a couple of times. There were several different things for children. Jimmy doesn't like to ride on anything and Mary likes everything. The higher and faster the things go the better she likes it. Jimmie studies most of the time. He is learning to read now by himself with a little help from me.
He was writing the other day and Mary kept grabbing his pencil away from him. He finally hit her and I told him he knew he wasn't supposed to hit Mary and he said he knew in this case that even God would think it was all right.
I don't think I told you I got my ham did I? I could have had two of them but the butcher said he was sure the ham would spoil before it got out there as these tenderized hams are supposed to be kept under refrigeration. I was afraid to send it then as it would be awful to unwrap a big ham and have it spoiled. Was it the middle of summer when I sent that other ham from Oak Ridge? Our weather has been so hot and the butcher said he would get another one for me a little later to send.
Night
Everyone is in bed so I will finish writing now. Mary had quite an accident this evening. We have a swing on the porch and Jimmie was swinging and Mary ran in back of him and was knocked off the porch. She cut a terrible gash on her eyebrow and also below the eye. Her eye is swollen closed so tightly. After cleaning her up I rocked her and she went to sleep. I just took Jimmie to bed and she said goodnight to me so I guess she is all right.
I had a letter from Betty Anderson and she had a baby boy the last of July. She said they had given up the idea of moving back to Minneapolis because they liked Washington so much.
Well Folks I guess I will stop for now and go to bed too and thanks so much for the molasses. I'm sending you this dollar and don't go sending it back to me.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading