Wednesday, November 26, 2008

642 4/19/1945 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
497th Service Sqdn. 44th Service Group, APO 487, NY
Thursday, April 19, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Have received some very nice letters from you.
The funny papers arrived with the two pair of shorts. Thanks a lot. My other civilian shorts are finished. The way you talk, it is very hard to get things. Guess the war finally got there.
We’re having a big formation soon and good news expected. We also figure on leaving this theatre. The rumor is that it might take us way up. There aren’t many Americans in that country and it would really be a trip.
We recently had a terrific storm. Blew many buildings down and fellows were killed. Our squadron is living in tents and didn’t have any trouble. Not a tent went down. A boy from Texas transferred up the road a few days before. A beam fell on him and was killed. We all went to the funeral. He was married and had two children.
I probably won’t have a friend left when we return. I just haven’t written to anyone. Hope my sisters don’t disown me. Have had some nice letters from them.
The roof of our theatre blew down also. We’re working hard now to put up a new one. Since Capt. Beck left the Lt. from Seattle has been in charge. He went to the hospital this morning. One of the boys in the office is in Calcutta refereeing boxing matches and the other one won’t stop writing to his wife long enough to help any. Have had to steal everything from the British at night.
Gladys sent me a cute picture of the girls. Ruthie certainly is big and think she looks more like Glad all the time.
Our band is going to practice this evening. Have not been together for quite some time.
Your letters have all been coming in order so don’t think you will have to number them any longer.
No, all the Christmas packages have not arrived. One came from Elizabeth a while back so that leaves three left that I know of.
A bunch of us are going out to the river Sunday. Will take some pictures and I’ll send you some. I’m enclosing one that was taken about six months ago. I’m on the right cliff in the middle and forget who the third fellow is, we have to wear trunks now since the Red Cross girls go roaming around. The biggest part of the girls that come overseas probably wouldn’t mind anyway.
Glad to hear that the U.S.O. is doing so well. Makes it nice for the boys.
Do hope you’ll find time to learn the chess game. You should enjoy it very much.
It will be nice if the Dahlstroms do move west after the war. Then if the Carlsons could everything would be perfect.
I always thought a lot of June Southard and hope the marriage with Johnny Rice is a successful one.
My front teeth are okay but think I’m going to have a rear one pulled. It has been bothering me for quite awhile.
The Mother’s Day gifts will arrive through the Army Post Exchange. They will be from U.S. We just fill out the order blanks and they handle the rest.
Glad you enjoy the round-ups I’ve sent. We get them every week and everybody is eager to get a hold of one.
The death of Roosevelt was quite a shock. Regardless of what you thought of him, he was a wonderful leader. I think Truman is a bum. It wouldn’t be so bad if we had a strong congress but that’s weak too. Just hope they don’t forget we’re in India.
If Bernice can receive any enjoyment from that old bicycle, am glad she has it. Just hope that she will be careful.
Would be nice if Johnny Buck were to be discharged. Think it would be beneficial to all. His father would be mighty happy to have him back in the woods.
Sorry to hear about Andy Lund. With all the help he is receiving, am certain he will come across okay.
This payday should get me out of debt. The following month will start sending some home. We are urged to use the Soldier’s Deposit Plan here. The money draws 4% interest.
No, I don’t have to work in the shop anymore. I’ll more than likely have to return some day or be transferred into our headquarters squadron. Think I’d rather go back to the shop. Our squadron isn’t authorized a special service man. The Capt. is just letting me stay there because I don’t like the shop. I like sheet metal alright but was tired of doing all the work and somebody else getting the ratings.
I would like to have some more ripe olives if you could possibly send them. We never get any mayonnaise either. Think I miss that more than anything. Maybe you could send some of that some way too. We could boil some eggs, get some peas, mix my last can of tuna fish and have a swell salad. We can buy fresh tomatoes at the market also.
I got a six foot wicker settee this afternoon from a British Lt. Have it in the shade of the tent. Will be nice to sit outside in the evenings.
Had to tear down part of the boxing ring to fix it better but can’t work on that until the theatre is finished. When they are both finished we’ll have to start on the rest camp. Should be busy for awhile.
Will try to write again soon.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading