Tuesday, November 4, 2008

719 3/6/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts
Friday, March 06, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Plum Island
Dear Folks,
This morning it was cloudy and rainy and I love rainy days so decided to go into town and do my Saturday’s shopping since the store wouldn’t be so crowded. On my way home I happened to think that Elmer would probably be in the office today since it was too wet to work out in the field and I wouldn’t be here to get him anything to eat but when I got home he was eating an egg sandwich so had managed all right. He had brought me a nice letter from you since he had been into the post office this morning. My things from Sears came also. I had ordered three dozen flannel diapers and the bassinette. The pad came for the bassinette and the bassinette is coming express. I had also ordered three shirts but they are real tiny ones and I won’t order anything more until I get your other package. It sure is swell getting all those things you and Stella send me. I can hardly wait until the bassinette comes.
So Jim did move in the apartment. I hope they get along all right but I know if four girls were living together like that they would be talking about each other and fighting within a week. Boys are different though I guess. I hope it will be cheaper this way and I hope he will get a lot of studying done. It will be a new experience for him anyway. Elmer said when he was going to school that he and Chuck and some of the other boys always wanted to get an apartment but they never did. By the way, the rain has turned to snow but it is a real wet snow so I don’t think it will last long because it isn’t at all cold out.
I got two books at the library today and Elmer brought home the Colliers and Post so I will have a swell afternoon and don’t even have to think about getting supper because tonight we are going over to Ducret’s for fish chowder. I am sure I will like it but have never eaten it.
Milk here costs 14 and 15 cents a quart and when you have bottles to take to the store you can only take the bottles that are theirs. They won’t take anyone else’s bottles. I have my milk delivered but once in awhile I get an extra quart when I am in town. I bet you enjoyed working out in the yard, mother. Don’t let your hands get too sore from getting stuck. I can just imagine how nice it is out there now and I will be glad when spring comes here. I bet you were just sick about that darn old cat getting on your table the day you had company. It was a nice group of ladies you had for lunch to not mind what the cat did. All of your friends are especially nice I think. I sure hate cats and there are so many of them around here since one woman has twelve of them and some of them have no ears or no tail and they are the awfullest looking things and they are always on my porch or nearby but whenever I see them I chase them away in a hurry.
That was a shame about your beans last Sunday. I have been having them every Saturday night and we like them. Last Saturday I cooked them a little too long and they were a little mushy but still good. This Saturday I hope to have them turn out just right. By the sound of your letter Cully will be in Boston next Tuesday night so we will plan on going. I wrote to Gladys and asked her about it too so hope she hurries and answers and she probably will.
It is snowing hard now with great big flakes and looks so pretty. We will probably have a lot of funny weather this month and this is the month for real high tides they say so I think I will like it. I like it down here no matter what the weather is like. I took my negatives in to have more developed so I can send you some. It cost 50 cents to have a roll of films developed here. Isn’t that terrible. George Ducret develops theirs himself so he said he would do mine for me after this so I will pay him what it costs him and that won’t be much.
Well Folks, I am going to settle down for an afternoon of reading now and am going to pop some popcorn too. Wish you were here too. I can’t get over how easy it is to have a baby. I don’t feel any different than in normal times except I have a big stomach. I’m not the least bit worried about the last of it either but am getting anxious now to have it since I am getting so many things for it.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading