Thursday, October 23, 2008

279 10/9/1936 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
Montana
Friday, October 09, 1936
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I think the next stop will be Missoula. We are traveling along by the Yellowstone River. At least I think it still is anyway.
Last night the man across from me decided to get a berth in the sleeper so I moved over to the double seat and slept pretty good. I had to give half of it up early this morning but am quite sure I will get the other seat back this evening. I ate two cheese sandwiches last night and have eaten quite a bit so far today. Everything tastes so good that I'm afraid I will have it all eaten up before the end of my trip. We were delayed in Yakima last night on account of some other train was late and this train couldn't go until the other one got in. We are an hour and a half behind schedule but I hope we will catch up on that.
I'm glad I have the magazines because I've been reading a lot. It's been nice having the pillow. I still haven't spent any money. I was talking to a lady this morning who lives up in the mountains some place around Missoula. She told me all about the rattlesnakes in this country. I don't think I would like to live in Montana.
There is a Negro boy on the train. He got on last night and I don't think he has been awake five minutes since. He certainly can sleep.
I hope you folks got home all right last night. It probably will be quite hard to read this because the train shakes a little.
The lady across the isle is getting mad at her little boy because she is trying to sleep and he wants her to talk to him. I think I will sleep a while too.
The time is going fast and after tonight it won't be long before I'm there. I will send some cards and when I get home I'll write.
With love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading