Saturday, November 1, 2008

425 2/10/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Tuesday, February 10, 1942
Helen Carlson
Box 582 Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
I fully intended getting a letter written to you Sunday, then again last night. I have received the letter you stamped and sent on to me after getting the card I sent, then two letters came yesterday. Both written after you had been in to the game and saw Cully.
I am so glad you were able to go in to see the game, and that the Hawks won that night.
It is certainly a nice experience for both you and Elmer to have a chance to live right on the ocean. It must be grand to be able to see it so plainly from your windows.
It is hard to be rude to anyone, but you just could not be bothered by having that woman come to your house all last evening and again this morning.
This afternoon I went to Progressive Club.
Jimmie was happy when he left. Felt happy for having seen Jack. Also felt he would get passing grades in his exams. I am anxious to hear from him now. He had enough money to take the bus at any time he wanted to, but said he would hitchhike for a while, then if it got late would surely take a bus from Spokane, if not before.
Coming back I picked up a young man just out of Easton – passed him, then turned around and went back and got him. He was coming across the pass to North Bend from Ellensburg.
I am glad you passed your driver’s test. Hope your license will last for the year. It cost you enough to last even longer.
Jimmie will like the peanut brittle I know. He likes getting things, in other words he likes surprises.
It was swell Cully had passes for you, and the seats were good ones. Too bad you could not have more time to visit with him, but I am sure he and Gladys will visit you in the spring time if you are any place they can reach you.
The Pope family must feel anxious about Clarence. There are many heartaches these days. Pope’s house must seem rather large now with both Eden and Clarence gone.
I still have several of your letters I shall answer better in my next letter. Will write more tomorrow night. Hope to have news from Jimmie that I can give you.
Much love to you both, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading