Tuesday, November 25, 2008

14 7/4/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 1310, Knoxville, Tennessee
Tuesday, July 04, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Tonight we had the picnic over at Deans and it was fun. Mary Frances stayed with the baby. I had left a formula again in case she acted hungry and she drank most of it. I was so anxious to have her weighed that I took her to the Doctor Friday and she weighs eleven pounds and some ounces. I also found out about feeding her so won't be taking her back again. It would be nice to keep track of her weight but I had a 10:30 appointment and got to see the doctor at twelve. The hospital was packed and all the doctors are army doctors. The one I saw couldn't have been over twenty four years old.
The McKims, the couple you met, Mom, the night we stopped at Deans, were at the picnic and asked about you. I wish you could have stayed lots longer as we could have gotten out more now that I have a nurse girl. The picnic cost each couple 90 cents which went to pay for the ham and watermelon. Betty was right beside me when I paid Esther but she didn't offer her money. Betty has already wanted me to keep her children but I tell her to get the nurse girl. Tomorrow I am going to town. Did I tell you that Mrs. Elliott goes with me and then doesn’t let me pay Mary Frances so that way we help each other out. Mrs. Elliott leaves Lucy here too, who is five and Jimmie likes to play with her. Mrs. Elliott is Mary Frances' mother.
A leaflet came today telling where the different churches were located so I am going to learn how to get there and try to go Sunday. It listed as the head of the C. S. church some Doctor. I am wondering if he is the first reader or what but will find out when I go.
It is really hard to imagine your cool weather. This last week has been quite comfortable but coats and blankets still unthinkable.
I'm going to try and gain some weight as I weighed myself at the Doctor's office and weigh 107. I couldn't feel better though. Mary smiles quite a bit now, usually when she first wakes up and she likes her bath now. One night this week she slept straight through until five o'clock and then she went right back to sleep after eating.
Pop, your nice long letter came and thanks. I hope you folks got to go down to the Sound to see the kids. Did they go to Redondo? You didn't mention how you were feeling so I hope that means you are getting along fine. Your letter came from Portland, Mom. It certainly was a good thing you had reservations at the Nortona.
I will be glad to get the quarterly. Mom, please keep the 25 dollars even though you didn't need it for your ticket. I wanted to buy you something anyway and I really don't want you to send it back.
Everyone is in bed but me so guess I will go too and get a good night's sleep and I'll write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading