Saturday, November 1, 2008

421 1/29/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, January 29, 1942
Helen Carlson
Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Your letter sent last Saturday came Monday. Have not heard from you since, so suppose you are either house-hunting or have found a place and are busy getting settled.
I haven’t anything to say about writing for I have not written either for several days. Papa is home this week so it is hard to get much done as usual. The first of the week I am always busy with my Wednesday lesson. Today I went to Radcliff’s to read the Sunday lesson. This afternoon I sewed some. Tonight Papa went to a union meeting.
There was a C.S. lecture broadcast from Seattle tonight so I listened to it. It was real good and I enjoyed it. Also heard Henry Aldrich.
Mrs. Eagan came over about supper time to use the telephone. She called Esther. She had just gotten a telegram from Dorothy in Washington D. C. She is being sent out here to Fort Lewis. After graduation from W.S.C. last June, she got an appointment with the Government as a dietician. They placed her in a hospital in D.C. for six months. Mrs. Eagan was so happy to hear she is to be out here on the coast and, of course, wanted Esther to know about it right away.
I had a nice letter from Jimmie today. He feels quite encouraged about his school work. Getting more sleep is a big help. When he went back last Thursday he was all for quitting, but now he feels he wants to finish the year there.
Our papers told of an A.E.F. force reaching Ireland. So imagine Bob is with them. It said most of the boys were from Minnesota and Iowa. Said they were from a camp in Louisiana.
Our letters reach their destination much sooner now that you are in Boston. It really is wonderful to be able to send a letter across the country in two days.
I had a nice letter from Gladys this week. She hopes to see you this spring. Cully will be in Boston Tuesday. Do you plan to see the game Tuesday night?
Stella had a letter from Mrs. Ellsworth this week. Charity and family are moving to Omaha, Nebraska, so to be near Edward. He has been called into the army. He was a reserve officer. Had served overseas in the last war. Mrs. E. said she was going with them.
It must look funny to see people walking across the streets whenever they want to. Jaywalking, as we call it. One usually thinks of a large city with cars and street crossing as we know it in Minneapolis and Seattle.
I had a good laugh when I read about Elmer ordering sweet milk, and the girl answering him as she did. She thought she was smart, but showed her ignorance in more ways than one.
Hope you found a good place to live. Beware about going around strange places alone. You certainly do not want to get lost or have anything happen to you. Will write again tomorrow.
Much love to you both, Mother.
Friday afternoon
My dear Helen,
The mailman just came. Brought me your letter mailed Monday and the one I sent to you this morning. I had put only one 3 cent stamp on.
We also got a card from Newburyport saying there was a piece of mail there being held for 3 cents postage. You must have done the same as I did, put only one stamp on a letter. I am sending the card to you so you can call for the letter, put a stamp on and send it on to me – please.
Love, Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading