Monday, November 17, 2008

574 4/6/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
Lakeland Field, Lakeland, Florida
Thursday, April 06, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Borrowed Clifford’s pen which had red ink as you see.
Shouldn’t be long now before going. Last weekend they let everybody out until Monday morning. Only forty men are allowed out a night now. The married men have all sent their wives home.
Tuesday two other fellows and I went to Tampa and picked up a truckload of new clothes. Anything that is worn at all has been turned in for new stuff.
Our supply officer and supply Sgt. took off to our post with our equipment and will go overseas. We won’t see them again until we get over there, somewhere.
We are only going to be able to take one duffle bag so won’t be any room for civilian clothes. I will make up a bundle or box and send all my stuff home. They said no civilian shoes but everybody is going to try and take a pair along.
Was glad to hear Cully wasn’t inducted. Hope they will go west after the playoffs and stay there for the duration.
Hope you are much better and are up now Pop. You are probably working too hard. The hours are plenty long and then have to stand on that cold concrete all day. Maybe it would be a good idea to think about the grocery store deal. I know it would be handled okay by you. There are plenty of town people that would certainly like to do business with you once more. In the event you don’t get better soon, notify the Red Cross and might be possible for me to get home.
Bernice wrote and said she received your nice letter Mother. It might be months before she goes north if she does at all but will feel free to pay you a visit now.
Yes, I still have all my pictures of the family. Helen has sent me some along with those from you.
Our weather has turned real cold. There is frost all over every morning. Our blankets aren’t enough to keep us warm so use our heavy overcoats which help plenty. The South isn’t all that is said about it.
Thank you for the Easter present. You know I can always use money. I haven’t gambled once since I lost the first of last month. The three days living in a hotel last weekend didn’t help my funds any though. All my new clothes had to be cut down to fit which was more. Hope I’ll make it through this month. I have kept track of what Helen has given me and will send it to her when we get across. I want to have at least thirty dollars a month taken directly out of my pay each month and sent home then too.
I am certain I told you about receiving the shoe box. The gum was there okay too. It is a rare treat here. All the money you have sent was received too.
My last letter from Shirlee mentioned seeing you downtown and said she would like to get up enough nerve to talk to you. Why don’t you invite her over some day soon. I haven’t written to her for three weeks and she thinks I’ve left. It seems useless to me to keep writing to her since it will be months or years until I’ll ever see her again. I don’t want her to wait and then I won’t want to marry her.
Thanks for the stamps. I sure need them.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading