Monday, October 27, 2008

355 9/22/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, September 22, 1938
Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.

Dear Helen,
I want to thank you for the money you sent me, it was sure swell. I went to the fair and had a swell time. The school quit Wednesday to let the kids go. They also gave out tickets to get in with.
I think Mr. Ashim is swell. We just laugh in there all period. He sure is lazy though. He makes you use a number 1 pencil or B.B. lead to write with or dark ink.
If you hand in a paper the face is down and heading at the top, so when he turns it over with his right hand it is all set to read. If a corner is bent, into the waste basket goes your paper. He has a million rules or laws or something that you have to learn and remember.
Geometry is easy if you study at first. It is O.K. so far.
I am going to work at Swain’s tomorrow and will get more money.
Thanks again. Jim.

My Dear Helen,
Mrs. Swain and I had a very nice time at the beach. We went down after lunch yesterday and got home about 6 tonight. Papa and Jimmie got along fine without me. Jimmie says now I should have gone to Minneapolis.
Papa got a card from Mr. Bo_. He and Mrs. Bo_ are in the East. He said they were in Minneapolis two days and wish we had told them how to find you girls.
I am sorry Steve lost his job. Marian isn’t much of a help to him either. He really seemed like a nice fellow.
Jimmie forgot to mention the reeds you sent him but he was very glad to get them anyway. These you sent him will last him a long time.
I hate to listen to the radio. There is so much war talk.
What have you decided about moving? I do hope you get a set of Science books and will start reading. It is the only thing worth while.
I think only 3 of those pictures came out good that Harold took the day we left on our vacation. I am going to get the negatives from them and have some printed for you as well as some for us. I keep after them to get those printed of Gladys and Cully. They are slow, so I have to keep after them. They plan to go to a dance in Seattle tomorrow night. Hank and Dorothy are going with them. I am to take care of the baby.
I am glad you had such a nice time out at Gladys’ place. Is Bill Corl working now? Hope he likes Betty as long as she likes him.
Grandma writes a nice letter. Do you want it back? Hope you girls can drive down to see them after Cully leaves for training.
Mr. Swain talks of flying back from California. He has never flown and it will be a new experience for him.
It is raining tonight. We need it badly too, to keep down the forest fires. The air was very smoky today.
I am going to write Gladys in the morning. Hope you like your school work.
Vi has only two weeks left before the big day. Are you going to the wedding? You would have to lose time at work for I suppose it is a morning affair.
We are going to bed now. Will write more over the weekend. This Sunday we are not inviting anyone up to the cabin.
Much love, Mother

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading