Sunday, November 23, 2008

4 6/11/1944 Gladys Dahlstrom to Albert Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Sunday, June 11, 1944
Albert Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Pop,
Today I am back over to Evelyn's taking care of the 4 kids while she is downtown shopping. The day isn't wasted though as I had a big ironing to do and brought it along.
Your nice letter came as I was leaving this morning and it really was good to hear from you. I know how busy you must be with going to work each day then doing your home chores besides.
No, we are far from being settled although it does look more like we will be someday. Moving in without any furniture and into such a dirty place looks hopeless at first. We still do not have a stove except our camp stove and an old one in the laundry that I use once in awhile. Wednesday we bought a pretty good second hand rug for our living room. Last night we scrubbed floors and got it down. It helps a lot. The bedrooms are pretty well set and we hope to get the dining room set tomorrow (also 2nd hand). Then I do want a washing machine if I can possibly get a hold of one.
Cully likes his work but isn't really organized yet. They plan to send him to school for a few weeks. It is some course given by the government. Later Cully will instruct some classes at the Company covering the same subjects.
Beryl and Glenn Hoey will be with us one night the end of this month. I want to have our place fixed up pretty good by then.
Let me know when you hear from Jim. Suppose he is in England working hard.
Yes, our back yard is fenced in so a good place for the girls to play. I'm sure we will be very happy with our new home only we know we paid far too much for it and hope when the time comes to sell we won't lose too much.
More soon. Love, Gladys.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading