Wednesday, October 29, 2008

366 12/11/1938 Sadie Erwin to Helen Erwin

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Sunday, December 11, 1938
Helen Erwin
5201 28th Ave South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

My dear Helen,
Papa and I just got home from ___ where we had dinner today. Really had a lovely time. After dinner Jimmie came to town. Papa and I stayed and played cards. Toward evening they took us for a ride. We went to Auburn to a show then came back to Enumclaw and had supper at Steward’s CafĂ©.
We have had a very busy past ten days. Have neglected you girls a lot again. Friday night papa and I went to the card party at Oceala Community Hall. I won a box of candy. The P.T.A. gave the party so we felt we should go and had a nice time. Jimmie went into Seattle that night to play basketball. The boys here lost.
I am going to get your Christmas box sent to you this week. I really think you are going to like what we got for you. I am anxious to see the enlargements of Gladys and Cully. I think they will mean a lot to her. Stella plans to have them framed.
She and Harold went to Seattle yesterday. Bought a nice compact for Jim to give Vivian. Paid 1.00 and I hope she is pleased with it. We let Jim have the car last night. He and Jack went out to the Grange Hall to a dance. Did not get home until 11:30.
Last night Harold and Stella went up to Hank’s cabin to a Christmas party. Stayed all night and planned to go skiing today. Have not seen them since last night. They left the baby with Mrs. Jacobs.
Hope you like your dress since having it made over. You will be glad to have your fur coat. I am so glad you are having it done. There is never a cloth coat made that is as warm as a fur coat.
You must like snow better than we do to wish for it. Papa says to have it in the mountains is plenty near enough for him. There was a light frost here last night. Today was clear and beautiful out. The mountains stood out so very plainly. The Olympia range looked to be just out of town a little ways.
Wallie’s sister gave you all a surprise. The little cousins are real near of an age. Too bad they cannot grow up near each other. Has Wallie any other brother’s or sisters? I remembered meeting her out at the lake where they were camping.
Do hope you will be able to save some money after the holidays for the time will go quickly after that. It is nice you can pay cash for gifts. It is always hard to pay for such things afterwards.
Yesterday I bought Jim ski pants. Gladys sent me 4.00 toward them. I know he is going to be very happy with them.
Gladys seems to be very busy and happy in Chicago. As long as it is necessary for her to live there it is nice she can enjoy it. However, we are not jealous of her at all for we are happy and busy here. I know you feel the same about Minneapolis. It will be nice though if you can go down to visit her before spring.
Just write when you can but don’t worry when you are too busy or tired to do so. We like to get your letters but know you are kept busy at work as well as with your school studies. After Christmas some of the work may let up some.
Yes, 12 is a big score in hockey. Minneapolis and St. Paul used to play some terrible rough games together.
I am sending you some more of Gladys’s letters. Just tie them together and bring them out to me next summer. Don’t feel you are to send anything toward the ski pants. Papa and I will pay the balance. She sent 4.00 and I got lovely ones for 6.95. Jim is out to Vivian’s tonight but should come soon. Much love,
Mother.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading