Saturday, October 25, 2008

306 1/22/1937 Gladys Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Erwin
4207 Grand Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Friday, January 22, 1937
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

[Helen]
Dear Folks,
I just opened your letter and found the money order for 3 dollars. That was too awfully much for you to send but it certainly came at a swell time. I guess Glad told you about our new apt. We were sitting on the bed talking about what lucky girls we were and I opened your letter and the money order dropped in my lap.
Don’t think that just because we are moving from here that we won’t be out next summer. It’s just that we have been so anxious to get away from here and couldn’t find a place to move to. The other night I went to bed and read some of the lesson and Glad and I decided if it was right for us to move we would find a place and we did. It will be fun living in the same apartment building as Eden and Wally. We used to be such good friends but since you folks moved and we moved way out on 42nd I don’t see much of them.
[Gladys]
Saturday
I guess I have quite a bit to add to this letter. Adelyn didn’t feel very well yesterday afternoon and had a hunch she was going to the hospital. She remembered that Helen’s birthday was Sunday. And she probably wouldn’t be home so she got busy and made a beautiful birthday cake – put candles on it and everything and surprised her at dinner time. Then she gave her a lovely pair of pink flowered panties with lace. It certainly was nice of her. At 2:30 this morning Wally took her to the hospital. I felt awfully sorry for her. We were all up and couldn’t go back to sleep. Wally was pure white and so weak he could hardly walk. He promised he would call but he didn’t. At 9 I called the hospital and she was in the Delivery Room then. I will call after while and see what happened. She was so nice it made up feel kind of mean for moving. After we get settled we will have them all over for dinner.
We were supposed to have gone tobogganing last night but it was 15 below zero and too cold. Cully and I went over to St. Paul and saw an ice show. It was grand. The night before I went to the hockey game to see St. Paul beat Minneapolis 3-2. It was a fast , wild game and plenty exciting. After every game they have a radio announcer broadcast out in the lobby and different ones talk. I had my chance Thursday. Helen and Elmer usually are listening in but they had gone to a show. Addie heard me, though, and got so excited she was almost sick. It was fun. They ask what your name is, where you live and then questions about the game. I was sort of excited myself. It was 20 below last night when Adelyn left. Gosh, but it was cold.
Della wants to buy a real good studio couch and big chair and foot stool. She is going to take advantage of the discount I can get. I will buy the stuff with her money and then Helen and I will use them in our apartment. Gosh we surely do get the breaks. It is hard to tell when Della will be married. Sid’s plans for a job are falling through so it probably won’t be until Fall. Della and I are going to get a cover for the studio couch and will also keep a cover on the stool and something on the chair so we won’t soil them too much. She is tickled to buy them now at such a saving and will be more than worth the wear and tear we will give them. I think we are getting an old rug to use too and then we are all set – not lacking one single thing. I still have all the small rugs to throw around here and there.
Just called the hospital – a boy – 9 lbs 1 oz – and they wanted a girl so badly.
How is Stella’s cold? I hope better.
I don’t believe Ad will be going West with Jensen’s. She is hoping that she and I can go East but time will tell. It all depends on how much money I can save. I know they would enjoy stopping at our place but I do know too you wouldn’t have to worry about them staying very long. Dr. will want to get up to Mt. Rainer for sure. They are such nice common people, anything is O.K. Our place is plenty nice now and you will be proud of it.
The money order you sent came at a perfect time. We are both sort of broke and I don’t get paid for a week. It was a lot for you to send, though. Dorothy Fernstrom gave me a dollar to send to you but I’ll keep it until next pay day. I hope that will be alright?
Now that we are moving and will have all of our things together I may locate your cake stand. I hope so.
Mr. Swain must have felt Pop knew his stuff to have him work on those sheets. Did it make Pop wish he was back in the office?
You ask if Helen has gained. Yes – she has quite a bit but I don’t know exactly how much. She looks a lot better. We can buy milk now that we will be alone.
Viola is back in bed and is very sick.
Later.
When we get settled we will have Mrs. Ellsworth over and she can stay all night. The studio couch will be real comfortable.
I’m afraid our sleigh ride party for tonight is all off. It is much too cold.
Aren’t the floods in the East terrible? The weather all over is unusual and sort of reversed. Bill says it is very warm in Philadelphia and has rained all but 1 day since he has been there.
The Churches are giving another Round Up. It is going to be a sleigh ride this time. I don’t suppose we will go. We will be walking distance from 2nd church an we are really going to turn over a new leaf and go regularly. We are going to read more too. Whenever we do we certainly are rewarded.
This Irma I told you I bowled with and went to the arena with, asked me the other night if I still went to the C. S. Church. I told her I was ashamed to tell her I didn’t go often but my intentions were good. She then told me her mother was just coming into C. S. and had been helped a lot. She wants to go to church with me and to the very next lecture. I was so glad to hear it. I like Irma a lot and maybe we can help each other by going together. We will be so near to the auditorium too.
This is a chopped up letter but will get it on the way and write more Monday.
My coat wasn’t ready last night but I can get it this afternoon. I’m also getting my hair set at the Fashion Beauty Shop. Suppose we will go down to see Adelyn this evening.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading