Sunday, November 9, 2008

510 7/7/1943 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
401 Alexander, Monroe, Louisiana
Wednesday, July 07, 1943
Sadie Erwin
Nortonia Hotel, Portland, Oregon

Dear Pop,
I’ve certainly neglected you all week but now that Jimmie is taking his nap I’ll get a letter written. My writing had gotten so terrible since I type all the time that I hope you will be able to read this.
It was a terribly hot day yesterday with the temperature over a hundred. I had invited a fellow from work over for dinner so was busy all morning cooking and getting everything ready. In the afternoon I baked a cake and it must have been at least a hundred and twenty in the kitchen with the oven going. I started thinking about all the dishes I would have to do after dinner and everything and it didn’t sound at all good to me so I went over after Annie and brought her back. She dug right in then and I just left the kitchen and was able to act just like a real lady. She served the dinner and did the dishes and cleaned up nicely afterwards. It sure was worth the dollar I paid her. We had to laugh the way she acts with Jimmie. Elmer and I and Mr. Cafone were sitting in the living room before eating and Jimmie was entertaining us and in walked Annie and picked Jimmie up just like she owned him and brought him out in the kitchen with her. She gave him his milk and fixed his supper and I didn’t have a thing to do about it.
Today I went downtown and bought a new hat and purse to match it. Now I’m going to have to make Elmer take me out because I haven’t been dressed up with a hat on for a long time. I’ll probably get to church now too but haven’t been lately because I didn’t have a hat. It’s so terribly hot too that it is uncomfortable sitting there.
Thanks for your nice letter. I’m glad you like the shirt. Glad said she enjoyed having you up there so much. I wish you could come and see me. By the time you get this Mom will be home.
Well Pop I guess I’ll take a nap now too. Write some more when you have a chance.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading