Wednesday, December 3, 2008

659 11/3/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, November 03, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
It has turned cold and this morning it even tried to snow. The kids were delighted and disappointed when it didn't turn out to be much of anything but I don't think they will have to wait long for a good snowstorm. It sounds awful to me.
Mrs. Ellsworth is in Los Angeles now. She left about the 16th of October I think. I had a letter from her and she had a nice trip out there. I am so glad she was able to get away from Leila at least for the winter. I called Mrs. Ellsworth when I got home from the hospital, not knowing that she had left. This is my conversation with Leila. I asked if Mrs. Ellsworth was there and Leila said no. I said, "do you expect her in soon", and she said no. I said did Mrs. Ellsworth leave town and Leila said yes. That is all she would say. She wouldn't even put her yeses and no's in a sentence. I wanted to hang up on her but instead just thanked her.
Mrs. Dahlstrom called a couple of days ago. I think she wanted to try and find out if I had heard anything about her letter or anything. She asked me if I had heard from you folks or Gladys recently. I said, oh, yes I had had letters from both of you and you were all as busy as ever. She had had a letter from Ralph asking for his old sheet music as the kids were thinking of buying a piano but she said she didn't know what she had done with the music. We didn't talk long but she'll be calling me again soon if she doesn't get a letter from Gladys but I think it would be best if I let her think I don't know a thing about anything, don't you.
That baby of ours is the best little thing I have ever seen. He just sleeps all the time and wakes up about every four hours to eat and then goes right back to sleep again. The last two nights he has slepts for six hours before waking up to eat, so I feel just wonderful because I can get plenty of sleep and if he is sleeping when Elmer has to get up well Elmer gets his own breakfast and makes his lunch. I do like to get up then though because I have to get up soon afterwards to get Mary and Jimmy off to school. Elmer still makes the formula at night and does the washing but I think I might just as well start doing that myself, although I suppose I would be smarter if I let him go on doing it as long as he will because it probably won't last too long and I might just as well keep my good help as long as I can.
I guess I didn't tell you the middle name we gave the baby, rather I gave it to him. We had decided on David but didn't think of a middle name, so when the nurse came in for his name to be put on the birth certificate I told her to put Elmer down as his middle name. Of course I don't like the name but they never use their middle name anyway and I thought Elmer would kind of like that and there is nothing wrong with a boy having his father's name at least in the middle so that is it.
It cost a little over 300 dollars to have the baby. The hospital bill was 155 dollars and the doctor bill 160, oh yes, then another 10 dollar bill for the doctor I had to have to come to the hospital to check and look at the baby after he was born. He still has to be circumcised but not until he gains a little weight. He already is up to 5 lbs 7 oz. He was 5,3 when I brought him home. My neighbor has baby scales so I can use them whenever I want to.
Well Folks I am going to wash the bottles so that much will be done for Elmer. Ruth Recroft came over again Wednesday and did a lot of work for me. She certainly is a good friend.
More later folks. I took a picture of the baby the other day and if his face shows at all I'll send you a copy.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading