Tuesday, December 2, 2008

178 8/8/1948 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Sunday, August 08, 1948
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
We have to get ready pretty soon and take the kids to the Fireman's Carnival out here in St. Louis Park, but I'll write a few lines to you first.
Last Wednesday it was a beautiful day, just like fall, so I called Eden and asked her if she and her girls would like to ride to Hamel with me to see Agnes and she did so we drove over there and had a nice visit with Agnes. She said her mother is much better and is up and around again. She was glad for her father's sake because it wasn't very nice for him when she stayed in bed and complained. I invited Agnes and Fred over for dinner next Tuesday night and they are coming. I also bought 4 dozen eggs from a neighbor of Agnes's. They only cost 43 cents a dozen, no it was 45 cents a dozen, and I had been paying 73 cents a dozen here and they were even these nice fresh country eggs so I plan to drive over there every couple of weeks for eggs now. Anyway, when we got back to Minneapolis and got out of the car I had a flat tire but was sure glad I hadn't noticed it along the highway. Anyway, Wednesday night is the night Elmer works so we called Wally and told him to come over here for supper and he did. He fixed the flat and Elmer got home right after nine. Then when we went to take Eden and Wally and their two sleeping girls home the car wouldn't start. We have been having a lot of trouble with the switch so weren't surprised but it made it bad for Eden and Wally because they had to take the bus home. Anyway Elmer fixed the switch on the car temporarily the next night and I was so glad he was able to because I had to play bridge out in Richfield and it would have been a long inconvenient trip on the bus. The garage doesn't even have the part we need but is sending for it and we hope in the meantime the car will keep going.
Last night I had Mabel and Charlie over and Eva and her husband. Mabel brought me a lovely rag rug for our bedroom. It sure looks nice in there and it is a nice big one. It makes the whole room look different.
Did Ruth write and tell you how she has to move out of her house by the first of September. I feel so sorry for her. She is looking for a room in Janesville and certainly hates to give up her house. She wants us to come down next Sunday, to Mary's, but don't believe we will be able to on account of the car. We sure need a new one.
I had a letter from Stella yesterday asking if any of the kids got the mumps and they haven't had any sign of them. We have had a very cool nice summer except for that one hot week when the kids were here.
Kenny and Johnny Hinch are planning a trip out there next spring as they have relatives in Tacoma. They want us to ride with them. They are going on to California so we would stay there and meet them later when it was time to leave again. I hope something will turn up so both Elmer and I can come together.
Well Folks, I must stop and get the kids dressed up for the carnival and will write more later.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading