Wednesday, December 3, 2008

253 6/23/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, June 23, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
I've been just terrible about writing and it worries me but I do think about you all the time. Pop, I finally got your present mailed so it should arrive soon.
I'm still feeling real good. I bought a couple of cotton dresses. Last night Dorothy Cochrane and her husband dropped over and she brought me three maternity dresses she had had. We have been having hot weather but I like it and have been taking the kids to the beach often. I usually have the car full of others but now that the beaches are so terribly crowded I'm not taking any other kids along unless I also take their mother because it is too hard keeping my eye on them. The kids have inner tubes and have fun with them in the water.
You are probably getting ready for a busy 4th of July weekend. Elmer will have that Monday off also but I don't think we will do much of anything. We will see the fireworks at night. Now all the parks are always sprayed so there are no bugs or mosquitoes around at all.
Elmer's mother hasn't been feeling good. For the last week she has been in a daze and not like herself at all. She is up and around most of the time but far away from everything.
Have you been over to Jim's to watch television yet? Do they like their nice new set?
Jimmy and another boy walked to the matinee Wednesday. It is across the tracks over by Woodfill's house. After they had been gone for several minutes I saw they had forgotten their money. I called the theatre and asked if they would let the boys in if they showed up to the window and they said that happened all the time and they never turned the kids away, so luckily Jimmy and Steve did go up to the window even though they had discovered beforehand they had no money.
I really think this is the very first year that I haven't thought of your wedding anniversary. I know now though that on that day the 22nd of June did strike a familiar note but that is as far as it went. I hope you had a wonderful day and I'm so glad you went out of town. Was the weather nice?
Northwest Airlines had another terrible crash. I'm sure I don't like flying and I don't think I'll ever be anxious to fly again. Warnie was just over last night for a few minutes and was to start his vacation this weekend - the first he's had in years and he said he just hoped nothing happened so he couldn't have it.
Tomorrow morning we are going to get up at 6 A.M. and go over to Lake Harriet and cook our breakfast. I think that will be fun. Will stop for now and tell me how your day turned out on your anniversary.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading