Wednesday, November 12, 2008

550 2/19/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Saturday, February 19, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Elmer just left for work so I’ll write to you, at least start a letter but I might go back to bed pretty soon. I’m enclosing a blank check, Mom, so when you go downtown will you stop in the bank and find out how much I have and get the money. As long as it is left in there they keep deducting from it each month for the fee. There is about a dollar and a half so after you get it stop in the Blue Bird and buy yourself a box of candy. Don’t you dare send it to me.
Monday morning
Dear Folks,
I feel awful about not getting a letter mailed to you but will get this one off today for sure. Saturday night I had two couples over for dinner and Elmer had to work Sunday so Jessie and Jimmie and I went calling and Jessie spent the evening here.
Today I had a nice letter from Jim and was so glad to hear from him. He likes Lakeland. I don’t know how far it is from here but I hope he will be able to come up soon.
This morning the overalls came and they are so cute and fit Jimmie just right. We are going visiting this afternoon and he is going to wear them. If you haven’t started any others, don’t, because it will be getting warm here soon but so far we have had rain almost every day so I like to keep overalls on Jimmie. He will get lots of wear out of these.
Kenny Hinch, this friend of ours from Minneapolis, is still in Camp Claiborne, Louisiana. His wife is down here with him now and they are coming to see us soon. It will be fun seeing them but I couldn’t invite them while we were at Frances’s.
Jim said he had written to me before but I never got the letter so it must be at Frances’s house.
Well Folks this isn’t much of a letter but I have to fix some lunch now and I want to be sure and get this mailed but I’ll write more later. Thanks so awfully much for the overalls.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading