Wednesday, November 12, 2008

542 1/4/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
1414 Cole St., Lake Charles, Louisiana
Tuesday, January 04, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Yesterday I had another note from Jim with a money order for twenty dollars. He was still at Barksdale but said he expected to be leaving any time. All the equipment had been sent out already. I hurried and called him up and had a nice talk with him and felt so much better after talking to him because I hadn’t written since I kept thinking he would be gone. This morning he called me and said they were leaving sometime today. He has a furlough due in a couple of months and probably won’t get as many days this time so if he is in the south he will spend it with us. If you folks could get down at the same time it would be perfect. I sure miss having Jim come down.
I think we will be moving into our new place Sunday. They planned on getting the furniture in tonight. I will have a brand new stove and icebox. The icebox isn’t electric but I don’t even care. It looks nice and lots of other people get along with just iceboxes so we can too. Jimmie and I were over to the apartment today and then we went over to the park across the street. Jimmie had so much fun on the swings and slides. There were several other children over there too so he has had lots to talk about tonight.
Today I went to the doctor and I only gained ¾ of a pound this last month. I was so glad because I gained six pounds in December.
Elmer has been having big discussions with Frances. I wish I could enter into them but I just can’t because I have liked Frances so much. She doesn’t get mad either but then she shouldn’t because we’re the ones who have been on the losing end. She says the O.P.A. knows she has been living here but Elmer is going to write them a letter because if we’re entitled to any rent back it would be nice to have. I certainly hate to have all this trouble come up and if it were up to me I would just move and not say anything about the conditions but I guess it isn’t smart to be too easy either.
Mother, when Jimmie and I were home you should have absolutely made me put diapers on him at night or something as long as he did wet the bed. I know you tried but I wouldn’t listen to it and I realize now how awful it was to get your bed all smelly.
I should take a bath and fix my hair tonight but guess I won’t. You can address my letters to 1414 Cole from now on. I’ve started putting that down on my return address and every time I almost write Enumclaw down after writing Cole St.
Well Folks I guess I will go to bed now and I will write more later. How does it feel to be through reading, Mom? You’re still kept plenty busy. I hope you’re not working too hard, Pop.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading