Thursday, November 27, 2008

654 8/23/1945 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
9007 South Elizabeth, Chicago, Illinois
Thursday, August 23, 1945
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Mother’s letter mailed Tuesday morning came yesterday (Wed.) I’ve been looking for a letter but do realize you are busy. It was nice to get Jim’s letter too. I just finished a note to Helen and will send his letter along with it.
If we had been nearer we would certainly have been at the cabin with you last Wednesday and Thursday. I imagine people will be going up more now that gas rationing is no longer.
Let me know when Sara and Bill leave Enumclaw. I will want them over for dinner if they can make it – otherwise just her, but I will have to do some washing windows, etc. first. Everything gets so darn dirty here and just doesn’t stay clean at all. I will be having a lot of company in September and October. Lucille from Tacoma, Gossards, then Helen and Elmer. Viola will be here a week or more in October. Several hockey players plan to stop a day or so on their way to Cleveland and Detroit. Then Helen Johnson and her two kids will stop off on their way thru.
Tomorrow I can peaches. $3.98 for a bushel of Elbertas. Soon I must get cucumbers for a few dill pickles then all I will have is tomatoes and maybe a little grape jelly.
No, Elizabeth never did write to me. I may send her a Xmas card but certainly do not plan to waste much time on her in any way. She is Mrs. Eddie Haggman, 120 E. Gates St, Columbus. Cully is so disgusted with her I’d be afraid to have her visit us again. He really was extra nice too when they came.
Instead of having a party for Ruthie’s birthday we will take Evelyn and Mickie and Judy out to the zoo. We will go early and stay until the kids get tired. Ev will bake her a cake and I will furnish the rest of the lunch. In the evening, after supper, I will treat the neighborhood kids to ice cream and cake or cookies. It is too hard to plan games, etc. for 12 or 14 kids, at least I’m not in the mood. I hate to invite them and have them feel they must bring gifts. This way there will be no fuss or bother for anybody.
Well I will write again soon to give you the latest developments. Let me know about Pop’s work and your plans.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading