Saturday, November 1, 2008

418 1/22/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Thursday, January 22, 1942
Helen Carlson
1140 Park Square Bldg, Boston, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Your nice newsy letter from Boston, written Monday, came today. I have been thinking about you a lot and was very glad to hear you had reached there and that Elmer was feeling better.
Last night about 6:45 before I started getting ready for church and as I sat writing Jimmie a letter, in he walked thru the back door. A man was driving from Pullman to Tacoma yesterday and Jimmie could not resist coming home. I took him this morning as far as North Bend. The day was a nice spring day on this side of the mountains and he promised not to take a ride that might leave him out some place between towns. We gave him money so he could stop at a hotel if he did not get way thru today and told him to take a bus down from Spokane. I wrote to him this afternoon to let him know I got home O.K., and will now be anxious to hear from him.
He has moved out of the frat house into a rooming house where he has his bed in his room and sleeps much warmer. His cold is gone and he looked fine. We were glad to see him. Always hate to have him leave again.
I am glad you received your birth certificate and quarterly, and also another letter I had written you. I am sure you will get them all if you have not already.
It must be a thrill to see those large Eastern cities. Each trip takes you into new places. It was nice Elmer could talk to the Andersons, and you got to talk to Jeanette and the girls. Mrs. Paist must have been surprised to hear from you. It was nice of her to invite you folks for dinner. I am glad you did not feel the need of a heater.
I hope you can stay in Boston long enough to see some of the town. Hope when Elmer gets his work orders it will take you into a place where you can keep house again. Home cooking is better for you both, and we hope Elmer can gain back what weight he has lost.
I do not think the East ever has that terrible cold weather Minnesota gets at times. The spring time should be nice at least. It must have been terribly hard driving in New York City. Chicago seemed plenty bad to me, and New York must be even worse.
Yesterday I went over to stay with Bernice and the baby until Harold came at 3:15. Stella had gone to her club. Both girls were good. The baby is getting to be real cute. Just think, she will be 9 weeks old in the morning, and that means 9 weeks tomorrow night since you left here. Bernice had the little stove you sent out and her dishes out on the front room rug. Was having the best time and seems to like the stove very much. It is a dandy, but how did you dare to send anything like that so far? However, it came through in perfect condition.
I will have Papa tell me in the morning when Cully is to play in Boston again. He was just there. It will be nice for you and Elmer to see him, and he will be glad to see you two also.
Jimmie told us that there is another Jimmie Erwin going to school at Pullman. Jimmie says he is a nice kid and older than he. He says when they are at basketball games someone will call Jim Erwin and they both look or answer the call.
It is nearly midnight. I’ll go to bed now and then add a note in the morning giving you Cully’s schedule.
Love to you and Elmer. Mother.
Hello folks – 7:25 am Jan 23rd. Well the wind is blowing good and hard but it isn’t raining. We have had a lot of wind this month. I am to have my vacation next week. I hope that it don’t rain all the time.
We have been quite busy at the store [on account of] Cliff and Fred K___g have been changing the office around and building some new office furniture, so that has kept the rest of us busy. You had quite a time getting through New York. That’s a good town to keep your car out of. I hope that you folks are sent some nice place to work and live. Expenses certainly are high in the east. You folks will have to buy a trailer.
Love, Pop
Cully will be in Boston Feb. 3rd.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading