Wednesday, October 29, 2008

391 3/4/1939 Gladys Dahlstrom to Sadie Erwin

Gladys Dahlstrom
Hotel Guyon, 4000 Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, March 04, 1939
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I don’t know how far I’ll get with this but I’ll at least start. I have a nice letter here of yours to answer. I’m glad you had a permanent and that it turned out nice. My hair just about drives me crazy. It is getting real long and Cully doesn’t want me to cut it. I go swimming so much, it is foolish to have it set – so I just let it go and look like a witch. You had a nice day with the Hoey’s. We’ll all have to get together when we get out there.
My afghan is coming along swell. I think my stitch is just right now. I know you will like this style too.
Monday
The boys came home yesterday after an encouraging road trip. They beat the Rangers 3-1 and tied the Toronto Maple Leafs 1-1. Cully got the goal. That tied them with the Canadiens for 6th place. The game last night was grand. Our boys played beautifully and were leading 1-0 until the last minute and 25 seconds of the game when the Canadiens tied it up and then won in the overtime. The boys are all sick about it and are so tired and sore from all these rough games. They played 3 games in 4 nights and traveled from Chicago to New York and Toronto and home in that time. Cully is so tired he can’t eat or sleep. We are in 7th place now and have only 5 games left to play.
It will be all over in 2 weeks. I hope they don’t get in the playoffs although I wouldn’t dare let anyone hear me say it. They are so wild and rough and the money is so little that it isn’t worth it. In Toronto Saturday night one of their boys lost an eye. He is just a young kid – this being his second year in the league. It makes me sick. Art Wicks on our team has had 25 stitches in his head this year besides other terrible bumps and bruises. I must keep on thinking rightly for all of them and I know Cully has been protected lots. So far he hasn’t had any real injury – and look what he had last year. The kids are all getting pretty tired out now so when it is all over a good rest is what they need.
We should be out there in just about a month from now. We plan to spend about 2 weeks in Minneapolis.
I got another nice letter from you today and was glad to hear about your coat and hat. It sounds very pretty. I have my navy purse from last year. It is just like new and I can’t use it so will send it to you tomorrow. (Hope it isn’t too late.)
We will be there to see Jim in the Operetta. Will he sing any solos?
I may go to Detroit to see the last game but will not go any further east. None of the girls ever do. We will have to make that trip some summer.
I will go out to see Woodfills and will surely get your cake stand.
Should we bring out any old dishes and kettles (those of yours) to use at Greenwater? We will bring bedding for sure. Please let me know because we will have to start lining up things. Also be sure to let us know about electricity. There would be no use in bringing my iron, radio, etc. if we couldn’t use them.
I bought a new suit and coat. The suit is called toast – an off-brown. The jacket has a light blue stripe and my coat is blue to match. It is very pretty and practical. Now I need a hat, shoes, purse and gloves.
We are going out to Evelyn’s tomorrow night. They will have quite a crowd. The girls will sing with the Ranch Boys and the Maple City Tour will be there also. We certainly will be well-entertained.
I have to make stew again for Cully so should get it started. Please excuse the few letters. I’ll do my best though. These next two weeks will be real busy ones.
Love, Gladys

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading