Saturday, November 1, 2008

275 2/16/1942 Sadie Erwin to Helen Carlson

Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington
Monday, February 16, 1942
Helen Carlson
Newburyport, Massachusetts

My dear Helen,
Two nice letters came from you today. I did not get to write yesterday so fully intended writing to you this afternoon, then Stella and Sandra came over. We had coffee. After they left I had to hurry down to the P.O. to mail Jimmie a package of clothes I did not have ready to send last Friday when I sent his laundry box.
I have the pillows and cases made for the baby, will get them pressed and sent to you tomorrow. Stella gave me some things to send along. The two bands [?] were Ruthie's, so when you are through with them you may return them to Gladys. Babies do not wear them very long - perhaps six weeks. The little pinning [?] blankets were some Stella had for Bernice - Sandra has outgrown them now. One jacket is new and the other one was one Bernice had. Sandra has several small ones and is outgrowing them now so Stella wants you to have these - there will be kimonos she can send too just a little later. Tonight I have been fixing some gowns Bernice had. Stella wants them for Sandra as she is outgrowing the kimonos.
I am glad you are getting so many things for the baby. Be sure to have the necessary things ready in plenty of time. At first you keep them in the little kimonos day and night. It is always nice to have plenty of them.
Is your doctor young or an older man?
Have you heard from Bob lately? This war is getting more terrible all the time. Saturday Army trucks came up and took all the Japs away from up at the mill. The kids were all born here but the parents were born in Japan.
Where is Elmer's outside work, on the Island? It makes it much nicer for him when he can come home for his lunch. We are so glad both of you like it so well there. It must be lovely even now, and when summer comes it will be still nicer. We all hope you can stay there for the summer at least. Where are the Ducret's from?
When I was clerk at church I bought a typewriter ribbon for Swain's portable, paid 75 cents, and used it only a few times. If you think you could use it I'll be glad to send it to you.
Did you like the book, "How Green Was My Valley?" I think there is a movie out just recently by that name.
At our Progressive Club last week Mrs. Schubert gave a drama review on the play, "Flight to the West" by Elmer Rice. I liked it very much. She said the play had a long run in New York City, but otherwise had not been very successful. Not very colorful in picture, but very good reading. The entire play takes place on a transport plane flying from Europe to new York.
I am just going over some of your letters that I had not answered in full. This one says your doctor will charge $45.00. Stella paid her doctor $50.00. I think I told you the hospital was 65.00 for ten days, and she was in a ward with three others.
It will be nice if you do have a boy. Still if it is a little girl you will love her too.
When I wrote to Mrs. Martel about Sandra, she wrote and asked me if I did think it about time one of our girls gave us a grandson.
I know everything will go along lovely for you, but it also helps to have your doctor feel it will too. You have felt so good all along. It has been just the natural unfoldment of life. Stella, Gladys and I are holding good and true thoughts for you. In Science there is none of that worry and uncertainty. There is only good, and good alone.
36 hours certainly is fast time for a letter to travel from Seattle to Boston.
I have gotten to the letters I sent the card to you for. In it you say the land is on the Island that Elmer will be surveying.
Do Ducret's know the Hemmings. It is really to their credit if they do not like them. It is nice for you that you like Mrs. Ducret. She can be a big help to you too, when the baby comes, for you will feel free to ask her questions. One feels so helpless with the first baby and it is nice to have someone with children to advise you.
Do not know if we ever told you about when Ruthie was just home from Kleing's [?]. We heard her choking. She had sucked on the ribbons which tied her kimono and had gotten it in her throat. After that we pinned them under with a little safety pin after tying the bow.
I'll not answer your today letters until next time.
I know you will wonder where Bernice was today when Stella came over. The day was lovely and she was having such a good time playing with the kids she did not want to come. Gladys had told Stella she would look out for here while Stella was gone.
I have several different flowers in bloom. Your weather is still wintry and stormy compared with ours, but will be nicer soon. It must be fun watching those high waves. Don't think I have ever seen them like that only on a rocky coast. Perhaps it is that there, but I have not pictured it so mentally. If you were not so far along I'd come to see you in April and stay a month. If you are still there the latter part of the summer I may be able to come then.
I do not know if Jimmie told you that he takes his lunch and dinner at a boarding house real near his rooming house. He pays 21.00 per month, his room costs 8.00, then he tries to get by without breakfast, but we told him he must eat something if only 15 cents worth, so I think he will. We plan to send him 40.00 each for the last of March and April. May will be a little less as he has paid his room rent in advance and school closes then. The last of this month he will have at least 10.00 left over from what he got from Cully, so we will only send $30.00. I am glad he is to finish the year out.
It is midnight so I will quit and go to bed. So far we have not minded the change in time. We go by the clock, and go to bed late as usual and have the same number of hours in bed as before. I think when summer comes it will be nice to have so much daylight after Papa comes from work.
Love to you both, Mother.
February 17, 1942
Dear Helen - Just a few lines while I am waiting for my coffee to come to a boil.
First I want to thank you for that very nice Valentine, it certainly was a swell one.
It must be nice to have your cottage on the island, the weather will no doubt be stormy for another month.
It's too bad that the lady next door doesn't keep track of her children. Elmer will have to put a lock on the ice box. Do you remember when the cat ate some of our Thanksgiving turkey in Minneapolis. Well I will have to stop now. Will write more next time.
Love, Pop

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading