Saturday, November 1, 2008

415 1/8/1942 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Atlanta, Georgia
Thursday, January 08, 1942
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,

Well here we are back at Erwin's Tourist Home. It is cold here in Atlanta and the paper says it will snow tonight. We left Waycross about 9:30 this morning and first something went wrong with the station wagon and so I had to push it with our car every time we stopped and wanted to start again. Then it got a flat tire along the way but in a town so that delayed us some more but we arrived here at Erwin's about six this evening and it was about a three hundred mile drive. We got our room and then went out and ate and just got back and Elmer will go down to the office in the morning. He got rid of the station wagon tonight so won't have to drive that any more. Elmer just read in the paper that Mpls. Has a temperature of 20 below low, and 2 below high. Isn't that just awful. We'll have to stop driving our car when we get there so we can save on the tires because they are old and if they wear out now we will be out of luck. We may have to stop driving it entirely even for traveling. Then I will ride with Elmer in the station wagon if things get that bad but maybe the government won't even be able to get tires for their station wagons.

I paid the doctor yesterday and he charged me two dollars a visit and I had gone four times so it was eight dollars, but that is about what was expected.

It's nice Jim could get in some ice skating while he was home. I bet, Pop, you were plenty tired after putting in so many hours of work during New Years. We expect to leave for Minneapolis Saturday, but Elmer will probably find out more about it tomorrow. By the way, I sent Stella the fur coat yesterday but don't know if she'll be able to wear it or not because if had been folded up in the trunk of the car all summer and I think it spoiled the skin because it is all stiff. I also sent her a black dress that Glad gave me when I was in Chicago and since I can't wear if now, Stella might just as well get some wear out of it. Tell her to wear a clip in the front.

I am kind of tired tonight so am going to get in bed and read a while.

Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading