Tuesday, November 25, 2008

44 10/10/1944 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
382 Robertsville Road, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Tuesday, October 10, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Tuesday Night
Dear Folks,
The big package came today and thanks so very, very much for everything. The way you fixed the blouse up for me, Mom, I'll get a lot of wear out of it. That one button was so torn around it that it would never stay buttoned and it was all pulled out in front but you fixed it up just like a new blouse. I am so glad to have the baby clothes and that little white sweater is the only nice one Mary has. If you hadn't told me about the mend I never would have noticed it. I wish I could sew like you do. That little baby dress Stella sent is beautiful and I'm going to write to her tonight. Jimmie sure will get a lot of wear out of the corduroy overalls. They are a little big for him right now but won't be for long. Our weather has turned cold so I got the other pair of cords out that you made last fall. I was so surprised to see they were too short but I let them down as there was a big hem in them. Yesterday and today Jimmie only wet his pants one time. That certainly is a big help. Today we had a fire in the furnace and it really feels good. Our coal bin has been moved up to the road, everyone's has, as in muddy weather the coal trucks would get stuck if they drove down in the yard. Today some men came and put a board walk from our back door up to the road and the coal bin is right beside the walk. I finally got my pictures from Knoxville but only three turned out. I am so sorry about not having the picture of you and Mary, Mom, but I guess they wrecked them when I turned the camera in at the gate. Our house really doesn't look as bad as it does in the pictures I don't think. I don't have that clothes line right in front of the porch anymore but have the lines more on the side of the house. All the land in front of us down to the water ditch is green now with wild grass and weeds so looks much better. There are wild flowers growing all around our house.
The new people are in our house now and it sounds like they are in the next room but they don't have any children. The other side of Edith's house is rented too. Edith lives on the same side of the building we do.
Saturday night Edith and her husband came over for bridge. it was their party but they came here since it was easier. Edith had made Italian spaghetti for our lunch and I made coffee. Deans also stopped over but weren't going to stay when they saw Smythes were here. We made them stay and drew to see who would start out playing bridge. The two low played checkers. After four hands of bridge the bridge players drew again and the two low dropped out so that way we changed often.
Jeanne came over this morning and stayed all day which doesn't especially please me but thank goodness I like her better than I used to. There are three older women on Robertsville Road who will take care of children either day or night. There is an agency downtown that has a list of the "sitters" as they call them. Jeanne and I went down there today and they gave us the list of sitters in our neighborhood. Our car is still in the garage but is supposed to be ready tomorrow so Elmer is going down to get it after work.
I had a letter from Jim today so want to write to him tonight too. Mary is still as good as gold and will love the jumper swing I know. Jimmie and Jeanne's little girl Marcia fight like everything. Jimmie teases her to make her scream and she really screams. The other day Jimmie kept saying her daddy didn't have any teeth. If Marcia ever touches Mary, Jimmie always says, "leave her alone, she's my baby." He seems to love Mary.
I'm glad to have the tennis rackets and everything, Mother. Edith has been so nice that I gave her a jar of jam. I hated to part with it but knew that would be the nicest thing I could do for her. She said it is the best she has ever tasted and she is right.
Elmer's sister Florence and her husband built a new house out in Lyndale and are going to move in soon. Don't know yet what Mr. and Mrs. Carlson plan to do but I don't see how the mother can carry on alone.
Pop, I dreamed about you the other night and I've been especially homesick ever since. More later folks and thanks for everything.
Love, Helen
Did you make the pillow slips, Mom. They are lovely and I sure do need them. There certainly is a lot of work on them.
The new shopping area is opened now by us. Sure is wonderful to have it so close. A grocery store, drugstore, barber shop, shoe shop, bank, and post office.

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading