Thursday, November 27, 2008

86 9/13/1946 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
Box 281, Sparta Pike, Lebanon, Tennessee
Friday, September 13, 1946
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Friday Night [The date of this letter is a guess]
Dear Folks,
Jimmy has used every bit of my paper so I will have to use his and make him leave mine alone after this. I had a nice letter from you today and also one from Glad. She says you folks are so busy at the store you need more help. Today Jimmy and Mary went out on the porch and hollered, "hi Meema" for at least five minutes. They thought maybe you would hear them out in Enumclaw but I'm sure they could be heard in Lebanon. Mary wanted to know why you didn't say hi.
Did I tell you we started feeding a stray dog and he seems to like us well enough to stay around. It is a young dog and Jimmy and Mary are crazy about him and she behaves very nicely. We have had it three or four weeks now so today I took it to the veterinarian's to have it checked over. He said it was a nice healthy dog and gave it a shot for rabies so now I feel better about having the kids pat it and play with it. We might have it spaded later on but there is still time as the veterinarian said it is pretty young yet.
Elmer is down on the floor with Jimmy making things for him with the tinker toys. He makes some really big things and then by turning the fan on the wheels go around and everything works just like the real thing. Jimmy says the Carlson family has so much fun. Now that the Jackson children are back he has someone to play with but all summer long Jimmy and Mary didn't have a soul to play with. Every afternoon after naps the four Jackson children come over and Mary loves playing too. I make them all stay outside though although they would all like to come in but there are too many to come in this little house and run around. With the weather so nice they should stay outside anyway. Mrs. Jackson's husband is leaving her on account of the children being home now. He can't support them as he is supporting three of his own, and the father won't send any money as long as the husband is living there. The grandmother will take Jack back but none of the others and none of the sisters want all four of them either. Mrs. Jackson says there is nothing else for her to do but let her husband go. He says he will give her money to live on but I don't suppose it will be very much and she will have to put in another awful winter like she did last year.
Jimmy will be glad to get back playing football won't he.
I looked in the new Sears catalog for corncob pipes but they don't have any so they must be scarce alright but tomorrow I will try to find some in Lebanon and Elmer said he will look in Nashville and we will try to get some for your customer.
It must have been a big surprise for the Schweikls to have Marvin come home. Have you talked to Mrs. Schweikl yet?
Our road out in front is scheduled to be finished by January 1st but I don't see how it can be. There is no meat in town at all but still Ellises aren't having such a rush of business like they did the last time. The road really is terribly torn up and then Ellises are selling their meat way over ceiling prices so it is very expensive. The butcher has to always be on the lookout for the OPA man. I know Ellises wouldn't like it if they knew he told me about that. He is the boy who moved next door who is only eighteen and has been married for two years. I will be glad to have the molasses and that will last me for a long time now. That reminds me I must remember to soak my beans tonight.
What Glad and Cully paid for their place is a lot of money but still compared to houses Elmer knows about and what they build it seems to be a real bargain because that property is worth a lot being right on the lake shore and they have such a nice looking house.
Did you have a nice time on your Garden Club tour, Mom.
Elmer still wants to come out there and said he would just as soon leave now if we had more money. After we get the bonus we will feel safer in taking a chance on getting a job after we get out there. Elmer wouldn't be able to take his time in getting a job like Cully did, although that is the way to do it.
Well Folks, I want to give the kids a bath and get them into bed so had better stop. Glad says you are going to start closing at nine o'clock. That will get you home a whole hour earlier so will be nice. Goodbye for now Folks, and more later.
With Love, Helen
Morning. Folks I got two corn cob pipes this morning. I'm taking them down to the P.O. right now to mail so should get there the first of the week. They were 15¢ a piece in case you want to charge your customer but don't send it to me. I'm happy I could get something you wanted.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading