Wednesday, December 3, 2008

256 7/21/1950 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Friday, July 21, 1950
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks:
Elmer just left for work and while I'm having a second cup of coffee I'll write to you. I was awfully glad to get your letter. I knew you would be terribly busy over the 4th. I suppose people have started hoarding sugar there too already. We can hardly get it here. I'm so glad I've been doing most of my trading at our little neighborhood store because they will probably do more for their regular customers than for the people who just come in to hoard.
Remember Wally Schatzlein, that friend of Stella's? I just heard that he has his own jewelry store downtown. Elmer broke his watch so I called Wally last night to see if he did watch repairing and he does and I had a nice talk with him. He has five children. He asked about all of you. He works alone in his shop and isn't always there but will meet Elmer there at noon today.
We certainly have had a cool summer so far. A good summer to be pregnant. All this week it has actually been chilly. I've been feeling fine although now my back gives out on me ever so often but I take it just as easy as I feel like it.
Did you see Agnes and Earl. How many years has it been since you last saw them. Maybe Doris and George didn't get to make their trip after all since Doris hasn't been feeling too good.
It's probably just as well because your weekends are so busy it's hard to take time off to visit.
It just started in to rain now. Yesterday was just beautiful and I told the kids if we lived in Enumclaw we would pack a lunch and drive up to Sunrise. Mary's hair has grown so long that it braids just swell now so it looks pretty nice most of the time.
Jimmy said Mrs. Ellsworth called me yesterday while I was at the store. I'll call her today. I'm sure Charity won't get to go to the Orient now to join her husband.
Thanks for the pictures. They turned out awfully good.
Next payday I'm planning to start paying you back again. I just got caught up somewhat this payday since back when we bought the carpeting. I even put a little in the bank.
Everyone says my hospital bill will be just terrible since we don't carry any of that hospitalization insurance.
Well folks the kids will be waking up pretty soon so I'll stop for now. I hope you are fine and I'll write again soon.
We went to the office party after all. We came home after the dinner but it was a wonderful dinner and worth going for. Nellie insisted I go and she had Mary and Jimmy over at her house until bedtime and then Jeannie came home with them. Elmer's mother is feeling fine now.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading