Monday, October 27, 2008

345 10/19/1938 Helen Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Helen Erwin
1912 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minn.
Wednesday, October 19, 1938
Sadie Erwin
1120 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I had a real long nice letter today. I am going to start to answer it now before we eat. I’m glad you had such a nice time in Yakima. It must have been beautiful with all the leaves turning color. I bet Jimmie was glad to have the car all day. It’s nice he is getting a little work in at the store.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Pop could stay in the office? But I suppose they aren’t busy enough all the time and besides Pop is too good a clerk. I wish he didn’t have to work so hard. I’m glad Jim likes the radio so well. The radio must like Washington because it acted up awful when we had it here. Stella certainly is an ambitious girl. She must be kept awfully busy. I hope she makes good selling the Christmas cards. I would just as soon buy a box but after the postage was paid to send them out there wouldn’t be much profit. I could send her stamps for postage, though, and you could probably buy the stamps from her, mother, because you use a lot anyway. I’ll do that next week and I will send a dollar for the cards. Can I get a nice box for that? Eden’s baby tries to smile and is getting brighter-looking all the time. Her eyes are real dark blue. She hasn’t hardly any hair but is nice and fat. Stella’s baby is the most darling baby I have ever seen. She is as cute as Jimmie was when he was a baby. I haven’t talked to Beth or heard anything more about Will since Selma talked to her that night. I hope Gladys and I can go over there some night soon.
I still like my school work and am getting along just swell. I think I could all ready take a letter if it wasn’t too awfully hard. I haven’t the same teacher I started with that other time but this one is awfully good. Her name is Miss Austin. It is getting colder here now. It was supposed to rain or snow today but didn’t do either.
Did I tell you that Elmer and I sent Viola a vase. Gladys bought it for us and she said it was awfully pretty. It cost a dollar and a half but had been reduced from a higher price so I think that was plenty.
Don’t forget to send me the address where to send Jean’s salad forks. I looked again last night for her address and I can’t figure out what I did with it. She is a few coupons short for three salad forks but I can get her three anyway.
I’m glad Dorothy Stout is still going with Hank. I’m sure he would make a much better husband for her than Buster ever would.
Elmer goes to school until next June and then he should graduate. He has to study awfully hard but it will be worth a diploma. Peaches and Chuck have made up again. They fight more than anyone I know and Peaches always has to make the first move toward fixing things up. Did Papa have a nice birthday. I hope he liked the present Gladys and I sent. I hope the package got there Monday. I’m glad you got a pair of shoes with the money we sent, mother. What color did you get?
Our new address will be 5201-28th Ave. So. It is awfully nice out there and the house is cute. It has two bedrooms too. Gladys is having a fit because I am going out there. She thinks I am crazy because it is so far, but the car line goes right by the house and right by school too. It turns on Fifth Street from 4th Avenue South so it is only a block from work. Gladys thinks I should move in with Mabel and Charlie. It would be nice there but I don’t know them as well as Eden and Wally and I just kind of hate to move in with anyone else.
Did I tell you I am getting a permanent Saturday afternoon. I am going to get it from Irene. You remember Irene is the one with the little girl who is related to Selma some way. Selma is going to be alone Saturday night with the baby Danny so she wants me to stay all night with her. Gladys might stay all night too because we are going to leave Sunday morning for the country. Selma lives on 68th and Garfield and if Gladys stays all night there too she won’t have to drive way out there Sunday morning. Aunt Mary said Grandma wrote Papa a birthday letter.
When you think of anything that any of you would like for Christmas write it down so you won’t forget it and then tell me. I would like to get you all something you can use or want.
Don’t forget to have Stella send me a box of cards. I just happened to think that the stamps I sent would be put on the package so you wouldn’t have to buy the stamps from her mother. I don’t know what I was thinking of. I’ll send for the box of cards Tuesday.
Well I guess I had better stop now. We have finished eating and I am going to take a bath.
With Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading