Wednesday, November 26, 2008

632 11/12/1944 Jim Erwin to Sadie Erwin

Jim Erwin
497th Service Sqdn. 44th Service Group, APO 487, NY
Sunday, November 12, 1944
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
I have four or five letters from you and a stack of other mail that is all unanswered.
Your package arrived a few days ago and was very glad to receive it. The candy melted very little and was in good shape. I have plenty of handkerchiefs now. The Kool-Aid is nice to have too. Thanks for everything.
Finally got fed up with working in the shop. They or he rather, kept us working by telling Cliff and I that our ratings would be coming soon. Then he would be the one to turn down the recommendation. A few days ago I asked to be relieved from the shop. The Lt. said no. I wanted to take care of the squadron athletic program. The 1st Sgt. talked to the commanding officer and he said someone was needed for it. The Sgt. said he would see about getting me out the shop. The special service officer of the group held a meeting to promote a large-scale athletic program for the entire group. Some way or another I have been put in charge of it. Have been released from the line and the outlook doesn’t look bad. There are plenty of things to be done. A softball league is starting this afternoon. Boxing, basketball, volleyball will get underway soon. From all our squadrons a group team will be formed and play other outfits where ever they are stationed. A basketball league is underway down around Calcutta so we hope to get in a few games down that way. I like the work and seems to have been the right change for once. Will have to wait and see how it turns out.
Our furloughs are supposed to start the 19th. That’s next week. Since this other deal came up, don’t know whether I’ll be able to leave or not. Cliff isn’t going if I don’t go with him. I’ll find out for sure soon.
Yesterday a truckload of us went to the river to swim and fish. The beach is really beautiful. The sand is nicer than any I saw on the California beaches. Most of us ran around soaked. There weren’t any women anywhere near so had the place to ourselves.
They’re trying to get a band started so am not going to send my horn home just now. Worked it over recently and doesn’t work bad at all.
The nights get real cold. Have been sleeping under three blankets and put on long underwear. Doesn’t seem like the same old India. The days still are hot and we continue to get tan.
I’ve intended to write each day for a week or so but things have been all mixed up and kept putting it off. I’ll answer all your letters and questions as soon as possible.
With love, Jim

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading