Tuesday, December 2, 2008

228 4/23/1949 Helen Carlson to Sadie Erwin

Helen Carlson
4008 Randall Avenue, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis 16, Minnesota
Saturday, April 23, 1949
Sadie Erwin
Box 44, Enumclaw, Washington

Dear Folks,
Well Jan came back last Saturday so the boys went home and I am awfully glad. However they do still come over after school and were here all day again today. I worked hard this week doing some house cleaning. Tuesday I took off all the storm windows and washed the house windows on the inside and outside and put on all the screens. I took down the drapes and washed curtains and everything. I got a lot done all week and Thursday afternoon I just sat down and was thinking how nice and clean the house looked when the school bus came and in walked Johnny and Ned. They always walk right back into their room, which is Mary's room again since they have left.
Anyway when they came in I said ok boys, take your shoes off, they are thick with mud. The boys said ok it's not on the bottom of our shoes and went right back into Mary's room and just tracked my clean house all up. Then they came in the living room and started wrestling on the floor and the davenport was shoved back and everything was a mess. They brought out the chess game and played chess and just left it there when they finished. I was too easy on them when they were here so they don't mind me. Anyway, Elmer was home today when they came and when he tells them to take their muddy shoes off they do and they don't pull any of that stuff around him. Elmer said next week when they come over I should tell them they have to play outside and just come in when they want a drink of water or go to the bathroom and to use the back door.
We are putting our yard in this year and what a job and expense. We are doing the back yard first as we have to get fill for the front yard and it is very scarce. We are buying everything from Russ Fernstrom and we need the works - hose, seed and everything so I am glad we can give him our business as long as he has just opened up his new store.
Thanks for the Easter cards and birthday card. Jimmy had a nice birthday. He brought these six boys home from school and they had fun playing. Of course Johnny and Ned were here too, although they had already moved back home.
Jan brought me a bottle of hand lotion back. I hadn't expected a thing or even thought about it but thought, rather than hand me a bottle of lotion it would have been best if she had skipped it entirely.
I wonder if Mrs. Ellsworth is back in Minneapolis. I wrote and told her to be sure and call me. I'll have to call Leila one of these days.
We played bridge over at Recroft's last night and they gave me a book to read so I guess I will start it. I'm so glad we aren't going out tonight or having company as I have a cold and don't feel so hot.
I hope you are all fine and have gotten over the earthquake. Goodnight for now Folks.
Love, Helen

No comments:

Search Letters Here

Loading